marty.net message board
    About cpshop >> cpshop-Compatible Hosting >> Message started by: secret-creatures on 01/24/09 at 11:42:28

Title: Dreamhost Compatibility?
Post by: secret-creatures on 06/09/05 at 06:39:55
Hi there -

I realize there are tons of hosts out there, but I was wondering if anybody had any experience with Dreamhost.com?

Currently, I use Cafescripts on my site, but it requires a great deal of maitenance. When I add a design, I have to spend about 2 hours categorizing, meta-tagging, and grouping each product.

Huge headache, especially when I'd like to spend more of my time designing.

Here's my site:

http://www.secretcreatures.com

Anyway, I've also got an email into Dreamhost... I'm really hoping that I can try CPshop.

Title: Re: Dreamhost Compatibility?
Post by: secret-creatures on 06/09/05 at 07:15:09
Okay Friends -

I just answered my own question.

Dreamhost got back to me, and said that there'd be no problem running CPshop over at dreamhost.com.

So, there you have it... another possible host for you.

Daniel
www.secretcreatures.com

Post by: oKawa on 06/10/05 at 15:46:17
That's funny!

I just got an email back from them:
"Unfortunately, this is not something that is supported on our servers. It's possible that it could work if you try to install it yourself, but
this is not guaranteed to work on our servers."  I've heard that CPshop does work on their servers, so I was checking them out.  Though, I'd like to hear from anyone that is actually using it.  I tried to ask a different question because I thought it was one of those things were it does work, but they don't "Technically" support it.  They guy came back saying he's never even heard of it.

I'm excited to try it out to!

:D

Post by: Secret Creatures on 06/11/05 at 07:49:15
Well, I've got it running at Dreamhost...

Still have some minor troubles, but they're not with CPShop, it's just with my template.

But, it seems to be running for me.

Funny that different people have different opinions over at DreamHost. (Or is that just like real life?)

Anyway, I'll post my CPShop Url when it's looking better.

Post by: oKawa on 06/11/05 at 15:12:04
Yes!  It does work with DreamHost.   :D

Post by: foxvox on 09/19/05 at 08:15:24
I'll just add another, "Yup, definitely works with dreamhost" to the pile.  I've had it running on multiple domains for a while now. Also, the default location of perl in the cpshop scripts is the same at dreamhost, so you don't even have to alter that!

:-)
Kristen

Post by: lovethetroops on 01/09/06 at 10:32:06
I would highly recommend Dreamhost hosting. For as long as I have been using them I have not had any problems at all. I have the "Code Monster" deal and have one premium shop running with cpshop and I only use about 1.1 percent of my alotted 62,540MB of disk space and even less of my bandwidth limit. So if you have a smaller shop or like less than 10,000 items a smaller package would suit you fine. Just wanted to give a little credit where credit is due. Dreamhost is great! I have a very large shop and probably will never get to my limit but I was a bit scared before I got the hosting as I though I might not get the plan I needed. But now that I have seen the light I wanted to let others know the "Code Monster" plan is huge now and purchase the plan that really suits your needs. I could probably host 20 or more huge shops on the "Code Monster" plan. They just QUADRUPLED the disk space and OCTUPLED the bandwidth on their hosting plans too!

Kim

http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?whelan1sg

Post by: Tony on 05/04/06 at 10:22:12
Is anyone having a problem with a large shop and dreamhost?  We just moved over to them as a new host, though from a dedicated server to a shared one to save money.  They turned off my site yesterday without telling me why.  We complained and then they put it back.  Now they are sending a warning that astphotos is on an evaluation server b/c cpshop is taking up too many resources.  I am using the cpoutput caching to help, but I'm not sure what to do.  Not happy so far after only a couple days of using them, but is there anything I can do to stop overusing their "CPU minutes"?

Post by: foxvox on 05/04/06 at 10:32:59
What do you mean by 'large' shop?  I'm running about 10 installations of cpshop on our dreamhost account and have never had a problem with it.  (One of them is a mirror of my main artoffoxvox shop, which is pretty dang big.)  I remember Dano might have had a similar issue with LunarPages - maybe ask him if his situation is similar?  Hmmm...

Kristen

Post by: lovethetroops on 05/04/06 at 11:17:26
Hi Tony,

I would consider my shop BIG!  I have over 20,000 items.  =)  I had issues with cpu minutes a while back but the output cache thingy worked for me.  Dreamhost has been an awsome webhost for me.  I can not complain!

Kim
http://www.locethetroops.com

Post by: Tony on 05/04/06 at 11:26:45
Well, my shop has less than that definitely, only maybe... a couple thousand?  if that?  Anyway, they said i'm using 700 cpu minutes already with shop.cgi and I use the cpoutput setup.  I would think mine is smaller than a lot of others so i'm not sure what's up.  

I was liking them until they shut me down yesterday without any notice, then they apologized, and finally warned me today after they reinstated me.  I was a little POd about no notice though.  

And yeah, it was funny b/c I was convincing Dano to move to Dreamhost too when it happened!!

Post by: Tony on 05/04/06 at 13:28:10
dano got nailed on Lunarpages for the script too.  It's apparently using as many resources as a large shopping site they also have on a server, and they found it unacceptable.  He told me he turned off the cpoutput stuff, and now is looking at host options.  I'm getting other people that have the script urging me to look back into dedicated hosting b/c of cpshop.  Sigh, well, hopefully with a cache cleanup I just did, I won't have problems, but this does stink if i have to move my site again.

Post by: foxvox on 05/04/06 at 13:28:43
That's just so odd.  I know many people that use DH with large cpshop and have no problem.  Is your cpoutput directory empty or maybe somehow not being recognized by cpshop.cgi?  (Maybe Marty could tell what's weird?)

Kristen

Post by: jailaxmi on 01/24/09 at 10:04:25
Hi,

Maybe some of you on DreamHost can help me with this issue... I am in the process of switching my sites to DreamHost. I transferred the DNS of one site first, which  has a small cpshop, but when I try to access the shop (located at cgi-bin/cpshop.cgi), I get a 500 Internal Server error!

You can see it here:
http://www.bluelotusayurveda.com/cgi-bin/ayurvedashop.cgi

Is this a permissions issue in my .htaccess, or am I missing something here? It was working perfectly fine on my previous host, but the server was down way too much for me to stay with them.

As usual, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Yol

Post by: foxvox on 01/24/09 at 10:55:17
Definitely try the permissions first - but not in your htaccess.  Make sure the cpshop files have the right permissions...

chmod 766 cpshop.cgi.config
chmod 755 cpshop.cgi cpadmin.cgi
chmod 777 cpcache cplogs cpbackup (directories)

Also, sometimes servers can be very picky about making sure you ftp your cgi files in text mode instead of binary.

Hope this helps!

:)
Kristen

Post by: jailaxmi on 01/24/09 at 11:11:19
Well, that definitely fixed the problem! First I erased all the files and uploaded them again (making sure they were in ASCII), then set the permissions right. I guess somehow the permissions got messed up when I first transferred the files???

Now I can go ahead and transfer my other, bigger sites...

Thanks a bunch!

Yol :)

Post by: foxvox on 01/24/09 at 11:42:28
Cool - glad that did the trick!

:)
Kristen

marty.net message board (http://www.marty.net/cgi/marty/board/messageboard)