marty.net message board
    About cpshop >> cpshop-Compatible Hosting >> Message started by: dreamwhisper on 04/27/09 at 16:20:59

Title: GoDaddy Hosting Works on cgi enabled accounts
Post by: dreamwhisper on 04/03/07 at 19:55:35
I about gave up when I saw the other posts that Godaddy wouldn't work. So, I called support and an advanced tech insisted it would work if I set the permissions correctly. So, I gave it a 3 hour go and almost gave up again.

But, after playing with my permissions, IT WORKS! ;D ;D

I'll have to continue to play with the permissions. Seemed that I had to set some of the 644 to 755 or 777 to get them to work.
I'll post back if I find the right pattern for all the files. Right now, I've about had it. Just thought I'd let you know.

I ended up at a point where it pulled my cat. list, but no products - page not found errors - so then I thought it wouldn't work again. Alas, I discovered that have to use dirty urls.....

Title: This is very interesting, keep us posted
Post by: drtobasco on 04/06/07 at 09:33:35
Keep us posted.  I already had hosting with GoDaddy for other projects, and had resigned myself to seeking another host for CPShop.  

But....

If you can make it work, I'm very interested in learning how.   Keep us posted.

Title: Re: GoDaddy Hosting Works (sometimes)
Post by: tshirtdujour on 05/23/07 at 07:29:25
I might want to use godaddy because I register my domain there. so is there any confirmation that it works?

Post by: Danes-R-Us on 05/23/07 at 08:47:27
There is no confirmation that godaddy will host a decent CPshop (other than with their virtual dedicated server package). I believe the original topic did not include the word "sometimes", but has been edited to state "sometimes".

I have had a cpshop install on a site hosted on a godaddy unix server with cgi for years. For years, it was working "whenever". It depends on how their servers are feeling at any given moment and I suppose also which way the wind might be blowing - who knows. This install is NOT MY WORKING SHOP. I keep it there as a "toy" to see (or not) what's up with their mess. lol It was working intermittently and unreliably and unpredictably.

However, with the update to 2.4 it stopped working altogether and continues to be defunct with the recent 2.5 and 2.5a update.

I've been using CPshop since the beginning of time and have never had any misery installing, configuring or in any other manner EVER on a decent server.

I would recommend not even bothering with godaddy.  :-X

Post by: dreamwhisper on 05/23/07 at 09:16:13
Well, I am a reseller under godaddy and I'm running CP Shop on a Godaddy Delux Linux account with no problems thus far.  I just updated yesterday to 2.5 and that seems ok thus far as well.  My whole site is under heavy construction right now but here's the link. http://www.dreamwhisperhosting.com/cgi/shop/designshop.pl.

It is a permissions issue.  Since I've been working on so many things, I haven't gone back to play with the permissions to see exactly what the proper configuration is.  The only thing I can say is that, at least as a reseller, Godaddy hosting does work and it does not have to be on a dedicated or virtual dedicated server.

If you do visit the link, I'd appreciate feedback on the display since I've been having some cross browser issues.  Once I solve that, I'll clean up the html and css.  Thanks in advance.

Title: Re: GoDaddy Hosting Works on cgi enabled accounts
Post by: Danes-R-Us on 05/23/07 at 09:56:43
I've been prowling right along through your site - no problems thus far. Perhaps resellers have an "in" that the lowly hosting customers don't? lol

I can only get it to work sometimes and then it will sometimes display products and sometimes it won't. I've tried with the permission set to full total access on everything and still the same results. Then it will just start pulling products for a while and then stop out of the blue.

If you can get more specific information, I'd be interested.

comments on your site: Used IE 6, Firefox 2.0 & Opera 9.20, all look great and pretty consistent.

Post by: Marty on 05/23/07 at 10:07:20

on 05/23/07 at 08:47:27, Danes-R-Us wrote:
There is no confirmation that godaddy will host a decent CPshop (other than with their virtual dedicated server package). I believe the original topic did not include the word "sometimes", but has been edited to state "sometimes".

Yes, I added the "(sometimes)," because a number of recent purchasers had stated that they "saw on the forum that GoDaddy is supported."  I wanted to make sure they actually read the thread, because it's far from given.

Post by: dreamwhisper on 05/23/07 at 10:15:00
Ah, too funny.  Perhaps GoDaddy doesn't like giving customers freedom - tee hee (just kidding - don't want to get booted for that).  

In that case try Dream Whisper Hosting (Shameless plug :-[).

As for your site on GoDaddy, I'm not sure what to say.  You did basically what I did by setting permissions to full access first.  When I originally read that GoDaddy wouldn't work, I spoke with my support team and they said it would absolutely work - no reason it wouldn't.  They just said to change the permissions.

So, my only thoughts off the top of my head are that:
1) Perhaps you are on an older server and it wont work for some reason??
2) Perhaps a fresh full install and change the permissions to full access before setting things up to pull from CafePress.

I will try to play with the permissions a bit more by the end of the week and let you all know what I came up with.

And, thanks for the feedback on the site.  I'm trying to find a niche where I appeal to crafty/artsy people rather than looking so corporate as most hosting sites do.

Post by: dreamwhisper on 05/23/07 at 10:19:08
Hey Marty,

What files should absolutely not be given full access permissions for security and whatnot?

Thanks

Post by: Marty on 05/23/07 at 10:25:58
Well, as a matter of standard CGI security, it's never a good idea for .cgi files to have totally full access.  Granted, it's not easy for someone to compromise a server account, but it's still a matter of good practice to restrict permissions to the minimum necessary.  (Though it sounds like the minimum necessary might be pretty broad here.)

And in case the question comes up, it's virtually impossible for a visitor to do anything naughty with cpshop.  It's just not that kind of script.

Post by: Alfie on 05/24/07 at 12:31:38
I've been able to access the cpshop Admin on my Godaddy account. I allowed full 777 permission across the board after trying with the standard permissions stated in the installation guide and not having any luck.
I am wondering if I'd be better off to get more set up at this point before I start closing it off. Any thoughts?

Post by: dreamwhisper on 05/24/07 at 12:53:15
Have you tested everything and made sure it is pulling from CafePress?  If it is pulling your products and such, you may want to try playing with the permissions before customizing just to make sure everything is ok.  I haven't had time yet to look at the permisisons on mine yet.

Post by: Alfie on 05/24/07 at 13:19:59
ahh yes... I just got to my first viewing of the cpshop.cgi.. I don't think it's pulling properly yet. Clicking on the 'view cart' works though :D
lol...

Post by: Alfie on 05/30/07 at 08:24:24
So, I'm wondering if my issue is a godaddy issue or if I'm not understanding the stores properly yet. I've got the main page feeding to the domain, and the 'view cart' works too, but I can't link to anything else....
http://www.luongoism.com/cgi/cpshop/cpshop.cgi
the cafepress site is here- http://www.cafepress.com/luongoism

Post by: dreamwhisper on 05/30/07 at 08:46:54
What are you trying to link to?  It looks like you used the default store code for your initial setup.  It seems to be pulling the products correctly.  What you need to do now is customize your store template to get it to look the way you want it using html and tags.  See this post for tags http://www.marty.net/cgi/marty/board/messageboard?board=cpperl&action=display&num=1048796221.  Then if you want to and when you have it looking like you want it, you can go to cafepress and insert the code so your cafepress url automatically directs to your cpshop url.

Post by: dreamwhisper on 05/30/07 at 08:54:44
Here's the link to template instructions if you don't have it for some reason: http://www.marty.net/go2/site/view/marty/108/print

Post by: Alfie on 05/30/07 at 09:28:37
The problem that I am having is this- Yes, I can see all the stuff available on the main page but what doesn't seem to be happening is that when I click on an item on the main page to get to the next page, it gives me a "page not found" message.

Post by: dreamwhisper on 05/30/07 at 09:37:48
AH!  try using dirty urls instead of clean urls.  (unckeck the clean url box).

Post by: dreamwhisper on 05/30/07 at 09:41:07
I finally had a chance to look at my permissions settings.

Ok, now I'm not exactly sure how the chmod arrived at this, but absolutely everything in my cpshop script was set to 705.  I had thought I set everything to 777, but apparently not.

So, I've changed the permissions to be exactly what Master Marty suggests in the instructions.  Everything seems to be working.  I haven't tried to add any new products or categories.  If that doesn't work when I do, I'll post back.

Post by: Alfie on 05/30/07 at 09:50:51
SWEET JIMMINY!
I knew it had to be something silly... I was almost certain it would end up being a checkbox, I just stared at it to long and got stuck...
Thanks!

Post by: dreamwhisper on 05/30/07 at 09:59:40
Glad it worked!  Trust me, that's where I almost gave up after installing it.  Keep me posted on how it works and what permissions you end up using.  

Just a note for the future: GoDaddy Economy Accounts DO NOT come with cgi support.  The Deluxe and Premium Plans do.  So, the title I think is good that it works on cgi enabled accounts.

Post by: Alfie on 05/30/07 at 10:04:09
Yeah, that is an odd one. I am installed on a linux base so reading the description of clean vs string I felt clean was gonna be the ticket.

Post by: Scottoons on 06/02/07 at 13:25:10
I just set up my cpshop on a Linux Deluxe Hosting plan at GoDaddy. I migrated my store from a different host. Everything works great (after I remembered to alter the $script_dir in cpadmin.cgi AND cpshop.cgi. I am running cpshop 2.5 (latest version as of this writing) without any hitches.

So it is possible to have a working cpshop running on a GoDaddy hosted web site.

A nice perk to the GoDaddy hosting is that you don't have to have .cgi files in a cgi folder. You can run .pl or .cgi files in any folder.

As always,
Scott

Post by: Scottoons on 06/02/07 at 13:29:28
Also, I am running Clean Store URLs.

Post by: dreamwhisper on 06/02/07 at 14:46:35
Ah!  I'd be interested in knowing how you got clean urls to work.  I just tried it and it stops working.

Post by: Alfie on 06/03/07 at 20:16:52
I haven't tried with clean urls again yet either, and I think I'm gonna stick with the dirty for a little while. Scottoons, are you running a windows or linux hosting account?
So far so good with my linux account, tomorrow I'm gonna start battening the hatches and see how far she'll go before she stops working.
Dreamwhisper, were you saying you took everything back to the instructions and it worked? So odd that it did eh? I'll have to try that too I guess. I'll update tomorrow.

Post by: dreamwhisper on 06/03/07 at 21:11:32
Yes, that is what I did - strange.  The only one I didn't change from 705 was cptest - because I remember that's the file I had a problem with in the first place and I couldn't find what permissions it was supposed to be set to.  I have mine back to dirty urls and everything is working fine.

Post by: Alfie on 06/04/07 at 08:01:39
yup yup, seems to work quite well. I wonder why it would work after the fact? Oh well, whatever...
I think I can vouch that a deluxe godaddy hosting account does work. And looking through their side-by-side comparison, it seems like an economy account should work as well, but don't hold me to that one...
As a question of scruples- what do folders generally need to be chmod' too? Do they need to be executable for everybody?

Post by: dreamwhisper on 06/04/07 at 08:42:42
Economy hosting does not have cgi support - deluxe and premium do.  

I'm not sure what you were asking about the folders - for cpshop or folders in general?

Post by: Alfie on 06/06/07 at 08:20:54
I was wondering about chmoding folders in general. What do you normally set them to?

Post by: StudioFloor13 on 06/07/07 at 15:11:22
DreamWhisper,

OMG!!  I think your website is beautiful!  I love the colors and the graphics. The layout is really nice. You wanted feedback, right? OK, I thought I would mention that I found the text difficult to read when I got to your Catalog page....it could use a larger font. It looks like a really small font in bold. (I'm using Firefox 2.0) Under "Hosting Options", on that same page, the font is different - easier to read up to "Virtual Dedicated Server", then the font changes back to the smaller one.

I noticed on every page when I use the scroll bar to scroll to the bottom of the page, the text & graphics jump around...not sure how to explain it. I can scroll down, & keep the cursor on the scroll bar & move it up & down, & the background image at the bottom of the screen acts spastic...odd how the rest of the bg remains still.

I got a "Page not found" when I clicked on Marketing Tools. I'm not a pro, but overall, I think your website looks & functions great. Love your Critters & Flowers photography & Celtic Designs, and your site really is beautiful!

"..... I'm trying to find a niche where I appeal to crafty/artsy people rather than looking so corporate as most hosting sites do."  What a great idea! I tend to find the "typical" hosting site intimidating....and boring. Being an artsy person, (and a woman) I must have pretty things to look at or else I get bored!   ;D

I'm using GoDaddy right now just for email & forwarding my URL to my CP store, but I really, really want to use Marty's CPShop for my current store & to open another one & have a bunch of affiliate stuff on there.  I customized my CP store myself, but it has been a struggle!  I knew nothing about html or graphic design or even left from right when I opened my shop 2 years ago. I taught myself everything, and it has been a head banging, frustrating, computer-smashing experience the entire time!!!  I've been afraid I will run into all kinds of problems with CPShop, which is why I came to this forum to try to figure out where to start.

So, I am hearing that I probably should not use GoDaddy for CPShop. All the talk of "setting permisions", etc. is over my head, and I want to do this with the least hassle. I don't even know what SQL is...I'm sure I could learn it all, but right now I'm tired of learning, and I'm really tired of learing this stuff on my own. The CafePress Gods need to come to my home & teach me everything I need to know.

I guess my question is, if someone would be kind enough to answer, what would be the easiest & quickest (and most economical) way for me to get started with cpshop? I want to get started this weekend!  I'm excited about doing this, & it's all I can think about!

Thank you,

Vicki   ;)
www.studiofloor13.com

Post by: dreamwhisper on 06/08/07 at 06:24:46
Thanks so much for the feedback!  I'll have to check out the graphics problems you experienced - The version of Firefox I tested seemed ok, but browsers are a bit fickle IMHO.  I realized that some of the text is hard to read, so I'm working on fixing that at the moment.  I've got a couple of things in the works so we'll see how it all turns out :-)  

Congratulations on teaching yourself - I think things are retained a bit better if you do; still - things change so fast sometimes....If you need help, I am more than happy to assist.  So far, I think that my hosting and GoDaddy's works just fine.  They may have altered how things work since the initial posts that it wouldn't work.  Who knows.  As far as permissions, it is really easy once someone shows you what to do.  Marty did a good job of explaining in the instructions, but it still might seem overwhelming if you've never done it.  Just send me an email.

Post by: StudioFloor13 on 06/13/07 at 05:07:00
Thank YOU for offering to help me! I appreciate that. So much for my getting started  with cpshop over the weekend....I had to drop everything & go to a funeral. I am hoping to give cpshop a try next weekend, so you just might be hearing from me!

Thanks!
Vicki

Post by: PArt on 06/13/07 at 15:25:04
Not trying to be completely dense, but I want to make sure I'm clear on this topic...GoDaddy deluxe Linux hosting will work with cpshop (with some tweeking)?

P:Art :)

Post by: dreamwhisper on 06/13/07 at 15:40:30
Studio,
Just email me if you have any problems.

PArt,
It appears to be true at this point.  I hate to be definitive since it is all over the board that it won't work.  But, at least 3 of us are running it with no problems at this point.  Good Luck!

Post by: Teesed.com on 07/25/07 at 20:48:07
I just did this after looking here for a CP forum answer.

I have Deluxe Linux hosting, but it should work on Economy as well, as it appears that the only difference is bandwidth and storage space.

I followed the install instructions to the letter.

Changed the password
Uploaded in ASCII
Changed permissions (644, 766, and 755 just as described)
Created four folders and 777'd them.
Did the script copy/paste on the CP shop.
Opened cpadmin.cgi successfully
At this point, the cpshop.cgi should show the "down for maintenance" message.

I went back into the cpadmin and changed it under "Use Clean Store URLs" to use querystrings instead of the default "use clean urls"
Saved the cpadmin settings.

Opened cpshop.cgi successfully

NO OTHER CHANGES WERE NECESSARY. NO PERMISSIONS WERE CHANGED OTHER THAN IN THE INSTALL.

The only change I made was to the clean url setting.

I will be doing my own shop later, but I'll leave this install up at http://www.findmytee.com/cgi/godaddyinstall/cpshop.cgi so you can see it.

Now to try the windows version...

Post by: Teesed.com on 07/25/07 at 21:32:18
Not having any luck with windows version. GoDaddy's help file shows no perl information for windows accounts. Giving up for now. :)

Post by: dreamwhisper on 07/25/07 at 23:53:43
I still say it wont work on an economy account - https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/shared.asp?ci=9009 scroll down and look at Compare Plans - Linux and Compare Plans - Windows.  You'll see language support for the various plans.  Economy does not have Perl or CGI support.

Post by: Teesed.com on 07/26/07 at 08:25:17
dreamwhisper, you are correct on the Economy. When I scanned the table, I didn't see any differences. That's because I scanned and saw something filled in on each of the columns. I didn't notice that one was a "--" indicating it wasn't a feature.

You'll need at least the Deluxe Linux Hosting for CPShop to work on the daddy.

Post by: PArt on 07/26/07 at 16:00:41
I have been doing the happy dance for a couple hours straight now... ;D

GoDaddy Deluxe Linux Hosting handles cpshop swimmingly!

Thanks for your help Tessed!

Post by: designboy on 09/05/07 at 07:33:08
I have Godaddy deluxe hosting. Which CPshop do I download?

cpshop2.5a-Win-full.zip or
cpshop2.5a-Unix-full.zip

Thank You.
Jim

Post by: dreamwhisper on 09/05/07 at 07:59:03
Win would be for GD Deluxe Windows Hosting and Unix would be for Linux Hosting.

Post by: Danes-R-Us on 10/23/07 at 19:48:49

on 05/23/07 at 10:15:00, dreamwhisper wrote:
So, my only thoughts off the top of my head are that:
1) Perhaps you are on an older server and it wont work for some reason?

This indeed was the case. If you have been with godaddy for a while and can't get cpshop to work, then they may have you on a plan/server that is "outdated". Since I didn't use the cpshop install I had at my godaddy hosting account (deluxe linux) I wasn't too concerned that it didn't work, but none the less, it DID NOT work.  ;D

Yesterday I received a call from a guy at godaddy, up and out of the blue, letting me know that my hosting account was using outdated software and offered to upgrade me to the "new" plan. I asked him if he could be more specific about what was "outdated" and what exactly would be improved with the "new". cgi. That was his answer. So I said go for it. It also lowered my bill as well (go figure).

Any way to get to the main point - my godaddy cpshop install now works perfectly. Guess I should find something to do with it now!

Post by: erial on 08/20/08 at 06:23:44
Has anyone written a tutorial for GoDaddy Deluxe Linux Hosting and Cpshop?
Thanks  :)

Post by: dreamwhisper on 08/20/08 at 06:40:27
Not that I'm aware of.  But, that is a really good idea.  I'm planning on installing a new CPShop later this week so perhaps I'll work on that!

Post by: erial on 08/20/08 at 07:08:55

on 08/20/08 at 06:40:27, dreamwhisper wrote:
Not that I'm aware of.  But, that is a really good idea.  I'm planning on installing a new CPShop later this week so perhaps I'll work on that!

Sounds GREAT, dreamwhisper!  :)

Post by: dreamwhisper on 08/24/08 at 21:08:05
Well, I hate to say this, but I don't think I need to write a tutorial.  Installation went fine.  I just used Marty's instructions to the letter and it seemed fine.  The only snag I hit was there seemed to be a slight delay between changing file permissions and being able to access the main page.

Well, the only other thing is that I couldn't get clean urls to work.  Yet, I'm using them for another installation but on a separate deluxe hosting account.

Post by: dreamwhisper on 08/24/08 at 21:09:37
Oh, I am also installing these in the root folder or a folder I create.  I'm no longer installing in the cgi folder because it isn't necessary.

Post by: ImAnIslander on 11/18/08 at 09:58:34
I use go daddy and have had no problems.  Just followed the setup instructions closely and it worked first try!

http://www.imanislander.com
ImAnIslander.com

Post by: ChortleTees on 04/27/09 at 16:20:59
Some additional thoughts/notes...

If you're using cpshop as your homepage (e.g. index.cgi instead of cpshop.cgi), you'll need to create a .htaccess file in your root.  

It should contain (at a minimum):
DirectoryIndex index.cgi

Bear in mind that it seems to take a few minutes (5-10) before it takes effect.  I put it it and was ready to pull my hair out since it wasn't working.  

Apparently, GoDaddy doesn't include .cgi as a default home page extention.

Also, I have all files running from the root.  That said, it appears that the $script_dir variable in cpshop.cgi (or index.cgi) does not need to be set.

At first it appeared that clean urls were NOT working.  But now it seems they are.

If you're interested in seeing--  http://www.chortletees.com

marty.net message board (http://www.marty.net/cgi/marty/board/messageboard)