GoDaddy Hosting Works on cgi enabled accounts

HOME

CPSHOP|

|

|

EMAIL MARTY
  marty.net message board
  « GoDaddy Hosting Works on cgi enabled accounts »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
12/15/17 at 12:10:32
Home Help Search Login Register
   marty.net message board
   About cpshop
   cpshop-Compatible Hosting
   GoDaddy Hosting Works on cgi enabled accounts
(Moderator: Marty)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 » Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: GoDaddy Hosting Works on cgi enabled accounts  (Read 97698 times)
StudioFloor13
White Dragon

Re: GoDaddy Hosting Works on cgi enabled accounts
« Reply #30 on: 06/07/07 at 15:11:22 »
Reply with quote Modify message

DreamWhisper,

OMG!!  I think your website is beautiful!  I love the colors and the graphics. The layout is really nice. You wanted feedback, right? OK, I thought I would mention that I found the text difficult to read when I got to your Catalog page....it could use a larger font. It looks like a really small font in bold. (I'm using Firefox 2.0) Under "Hosting Options", on that same page, the font is different - easier to read up to "Virtual Dedicated Server", then the font changes back to the smaller one.

I noticed on every page when I use the scroll bar to scroll to the bottom of the page, the text & graphics jump around...not sure how to explain it. I can scroll down, & keep the cursor on the scroll bar & move it up & down, & the background image at the bottom of the screen acts spastic...odd how the rest of the bg remains still.

I got a "Page not found" when I clicked on Marketing Tools. I'm not a pro, but overall, I think your website looks & functions great. Love your Critters & Flowers photography & Celtic Designs, and your site really is beautiful!

"..... I'm trying to find a niche where I appeal to crafty/artsy people rather than looking so corporate as most hosting sites do."  What a great idea! I tend to find the "typical" hosting site intimidating....and boring. Being an artsy person, (and a woman) I must have pretty things to look at or else I get bored!  

I'm using GoDaddy right now just for email & forwarding my URL to my CP store, but I really, really want to use Marty's CPShop for my current store & to open another one & have a bunch of affiliate stuff on there.  I customized my CP store myself, but it has been a struggle!  I knew nothing about html or graphic design or even left from right when I opened my shop 2 years ago. I taught myself everything, and it has been a head banging, frustrating, computer-smashing experience the entire time!!!  I've been afraid I will run into all kinds of problems with CPShop, which is why I came to this forum to try to figure out where to start.

So, I am hearing that I probably should not use GoDaddy for CPShop. All the talk of "setting permisions", etc. is over my head, and I want to do this with the least hassle. I don't even know what SQL is...I'm sure I could learn it all, but right now I'm tired of learning, and I'm really tired of learing this stuff on my own. The CafePress Gods need to come to my home & teach me everything I need to know.

I guess my question is, if someone would be kind enough to answer, what would be the easiest & quickest (and most economical) way for me to get started with cpshop? I want to get started this weekend!  I'm excited about doing this, & it's all I can think about!

Thank you,

Vicki  
www.studiofloor13.com

Studio Floor 13 | Squidoo: Vintage Aprons | Retro_Loco
dreamwhisper
Gold Dragon

aDreamWhisperer

« Reply #31 on: 06/08/07 at 06:24:46 »

Thanks so much for the feedback!  I'll have to check out the graphics problems you experienced - The version of Firefox I tested seemed ok, but browsers are a bit fickle IMHO.  I realized that some of the text is hard to read, so I'm working on fixing that at the moment.  I've got a couple of things in the works so we'll see how it all turns out  

Congratulations on teaching yourself - I think things are retained a bit better if you do; still - things change so fast sometimes....If you need help, I am more than happy to assist.  So far, I think that my hosting and GoDaddy's works just fine.  They may have altered how things work since the initial posts that it wouldn't work.  Who knows.  As far as permissions, it is really easy once someone shows you what to do.  Marty did a good job of explaining in the instructions, but it still might seem overwhelming if you've never done it.  Just send me an email.
StudioFloor13
White Dragon

« Reply #32 on: 06/13/07 at 05:07:00 »

Thank YOU for offering to help me! I appreciate that. So much for my getting started  with cpshop over the weekend....I had to drop everything & go to a funeral. I am hoping to give cpshop a try next weekend, so you just might be hearing from me!

Thanks!
Vicki

Studio Floor 13 | Squidoo: Vintage Aprons | Retro_Loco
PArt
Green Dragon

« Reply #33 on: 06/13/07 at 15:25:04 »

Not trying to be completely dense, but I want to make sure I'm clear on this topic...GoDaddy deluxe Linux hosting will work with cpshop (with some tweeking)?

P:Art
dreamwhisper
Gold Dragon

aDreamWhisperer

« Reply #34 on: 06/13/07 at 15:40:30 »

Studio,
Just email me if you have any problems.

PArt,
It appears to be true at this point.  I hate to be definitive since it is all over the board that it won't work.  But, at least 3 of us are running it with no problems at this point.  Good Luck!
Teesed.com
Green Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #35 on: 07/25/07 at 20:48:07 »

I just did this after looking here for a CP forum answer.

I have Deluxe Linux hosting, but it should work on Economy as well, as it appears that the only difference is bandwidth and storage space.

I followed the install instructions to the letter.

Changed the password
Uploaded in ASCII
Changed permissions (644, 766, and 755 just as described)
Created four folders and 777'd them.
Did the script copy/paste on the CP shop.
Opened cpadmin.cgi successfully
At this point, the cpshop.cgi should show the "down for maintenance" message.

I went back into the cpadmin and changed it under "Use Clean Store URLs" to use querystrings instead of the default "use clean urls"
Saved the cpadmin settings.

Opened cpshop.cgi successfully

NO OTHER CHANGES WERE NECESSARY. NO PERMISSIONS WERE CHANGED OTHER THAN IN THE INSTALL.

The only change I made was to the clean url setting.

I will be doing my own shop later, but I'll leave this install up at http://www.findmytee.com/cgi/godaddyinstall/cpshop.cgi so you can see it.

Now to try the windows version...
« Last Edit: 07/25/07 at 21:05:23 by Teesed.com » Logged
Teesed.com
Green Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #36 on: 07/25/07 at 21:32:18 »

Not having any luck with windows version. GoDaddy's help file shows no perl information for windows accounts. Giving up for now.
dreamwhisper
Gold Dragon

aDreamWhisperer

« Reply #37 on: 07/25/07 at 23:53:43 »

I still say it wont work on an economy account - https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/shared.asp?ci=9009 scroll down and look at Compare Plans - Linux and Compare Plans - Windows.  You'll see language support for the various plans.  Economy does not have Perl or CGI support.
Teesed.com
Green Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #38 on: 07/26/07 at 08:25:17 »

dreamwhisper, you are correct on the Economy. When I scanned the table, I didn't see any differences. That's because I scanned and saw something filled in on each of the columns. I didn't notice that one was a "--" indicating it wasn't a feature.

You'll need at least the Deluxe Linux Hosting for CPShop to work on the daddy.
PArt
Green Dragon

« Reply #39 on: 07/26/07 at 16:00:41 »

I have been doing the happy dance for a couple hours straight now...

GoDaddy Deluxe Linux Hosting handles cpshop swimmingly!

Thanks for your help Tessed!
designboy
Silver Dragon

Boomer Sooner
  lifewithjim lifewithjim   lifewithjim

WWW E-Mail
« Reply #40 on: 09/05/07 at 07:33:08 »

I have Godaddy deluxe hosting. Which CPshop do I download?

cpshop2.5a-Win-full.zip or
cpshop2.5a-Unix-full.zip

Thank You.
Jim

Jim Felder
dreamwhisper
Gold Dragon

aDreamWhisperer

« Reply #41 on: 09/05/07 at 07:59:03 »

Win would be for GD Deluxe Windows Hosting and Unix would be for Linux Hosting.
Danes-R-Us
White Dragon

Go Danes!

« Reply #42 on: 10/23/07 at 19:48:49 »

on 05/23/07 at 10:15:00, dreamwhisper wrote:
So, my only thoughts off the top of my head are that:
1) Perhaps you are on an older server and it wont work for some reason?

This indeed was the case. If you have been with godaddy for a while and can't get cpshop to work, then they may have you on a plan/server that is "outdated". Since I didn't use the cpshop install I had at my godaddy hosting account (deluxe linux) I wasn't too concerned that it didn't work, but none the less, it DID NOT work.  

Yesterday I received a call from a guy at godaddy, up and out of the blue, letting me know that my hosting account was using outdated software and offered to upgrade me to the "new" plan. I asked him if he could be more specific about what was "outdated" and what exactly would be improved with the "new". cgi. That was his answer. So I said go for it. It also lowered my bill as well (go figure).

Any way to get to the main point - my godaddy cpshop install now works perfectly. Guess I should find something to do with it now!
« Last Edit: 10/23/07 at 19:50:51 by Danes-R-Us » Logged
erial
Green Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #43 on: 08/20/08 at 06:23:44 »

Has anyone written a tutorial for GoDaddy Deluxe Linux Hosting and Cpshop?
Thanks  
dreamwhisper
Gold Dragon

aDreamWhisperer

« Reply #44 on: 08/20/08 at 06:40:27 »

Not that I'm aware of.  But, that is a really good idea.  I'm planning on installing a new CPShop later this week so perhaps I'll work on that!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 » Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to:

marty.net message board (http://www.marty.net/cgi/marty/board/messageboard)