marty.net 1001 Postcards Love Love Love Meep Meep ZenZodiac DailyQuotation Officer Naughty

YOU ARE HERE:
getting errors whenever I make changes

HOME

CPSHOP|

|

|

EMAIL MARTY
  marty.net message board
  « getting errors whenever I make changes »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
10/23/14 at 06:49:13
Home Help Search Login Register
   marty.net message board
   About cpshop
   General cpshop Support
(Moderator: Marty)
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: getting errors whenever I make changes  (Read 363 times)
funtshirts
White Dragon

« on: 07/28/08 at 11:39:57 »
Reply with quote Modify message

Each time I make a change in any of my sections (I have 8 instances of CPshop in my store - for my 8 categories), I'm getting an Error 500 Internal server error.

Right now it's happening with my family section - www.FunT-shirts.com/family.cgi

My webhost doesn't see where the problem is, and I can't figure it out.

Each time it seems to be working again in a week or so, but I don't know the reason.  For example, my www.FunT-shirts.com/holidays.cgi is working OK right now, but if I make a change or add a new design, I'll get the error again.

Everything was working fine for about a year, then this started happening.  Any ideas why?  This was happening before I added links to other sites on my front page, so that doesn't seem to be the reason.  I only changed my front page very recently, since my other sections are having so much trouble.

I've looked through all of the website files, and the only thing I notice is that when I save my changes, my cache folder shows a .cgi.safe file for the working sections, but there isn't one for the error sections.  I don't know if that means anything.  I'm desperate for help figuring this out.

thanks!
« Last Edit: 07/28/08 at 11:43:16 by funtshirts » Logged
funtshirts
White Dragon

Re: getting errors whenever I make changes
« Reply #1 on: 08/06/08 at 22:39:40 »

anyone have any ideas?

I'm going nuts not being able to make any changes... and my family section is still getting the error message.

My webhost insists that the problem is not on their end.

Has this happened with anyone else?  Should I go through the trouble of hosting this site somewhere else & see if it works?

Marty
Administrator Dragon

That's me. :)

WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 08/06/08 at 23:56:30 »

After over an hour of testing, I've narrowed it down to artbyangi/1204380 in your Maternity section of family.cgi.  Don't know why that particular section causes everything to break.  But after removing it, everything works just fine.

And I've updated your install to an unreleased version that has better data storage support.  Let me know if that makes it easier/possible to make changes.

--
Regards,
Marty..`..-> marty@marty.net
funtshirts
White Dragon

« Reply #3 on: 08/07/08 at 11:24:52 »

Thank you!  Marty, you're the best!  I never would have found that problem.

Now my other sections are showing the error message (without me changing anything first), i.e., holiday, weddings...  It's strange because they were working yesterday.  I went in and removed sections from artbyangi, but I'm still getting the error.

Is there a way for me to find out if other shops are making this happen?  How were you able to narrow it down?

« Last Edit: 08/07/08 at 12:08:11 by funtshirts » Logged
Marty
Administrator Dragon

That's me. :)

WWW E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 08/07/08 at 12:15:05 »

Well, the way I did it was pretty time consuming, but it worked.

1. Load cpadmin in your browser.

2. Download cpshop.cgi.config (or equivalent) to your computer.  Make a backup.

3. Open cpshop.cgi.config in a text editor, and scroll down to the Store IDs section of the file.

4. Remove every line but one of the Store IDs section in cpshop.cgi.config.  You can do this by putting

<<<SECTION>>>
blahblahblah

in between that line and the rest of the following lines.

5. Upload cpshop.cgi.config to your server, overwriting the existing one.

6. Go to the browser window with cpadmin in it, and reload the page (to update the store ID entries).  After cpadmin refreshes, check the "empty the cpshop cache" checkbox, and save changes.

7. Try viewing your shop.  If it works, add one more line back to the Store IDs section in cpshop.cgi.config, and continue from step 5.  If you get the error message, continue on to step 8.

8. Now try narrowing down the comma-separated list of store ID/section numbers in the line that caused the error to flare up.  I'd recommend using the halving method.  Remove one half of the store IDs, check the "empty cache" box, save changes, test your shop.  If it works, the problem is in the half you removed.  If it doesn't work, the problem is in the half you have left.  Put the problematic half in the list, and continue halving until you find the one that's responsible.

9. Once you've narrowed it down to a single shop ID/section number, try putting everything back in (or re-uploading your backup), and remove that problematic section.  Then try your shop.  If it works, you've got the problem.  If it doesn't, there's another problem.  Continue where you left off with the Store ID lines in cpshop.cgi.config back at step 4.

It'll take a long time, but it worked last night, so it's worth a shot.

One thing I did notice was that the ArtByAngi problem section had a ? and a , in the section name.  Might be nothing, but that's atypical.  I wonder if it might be causing a problem?
« Last Edit: 08/07/08 at 12:15:37 by Marty » Logged

--
Regards,
Marty..`..-> marty@marty.net
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to:

marty.net message board (http://www.marty.net/cgi/marty/board/messageboard)