marty.net 1001 Postcards Love Love Love Meep Meep ZenZodiac DailyQuotation Officer Naughty

YOU ARE HERE:
Some users get errors when adding to cart.

HOME

CPSHOP|

|

|

EMAIL MARTY
  marty.net message board
  « Some users get errors when adding to cart. »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
04/25/14 at 08:50:20
Home Help Search Login Register
   marty.net message board
   About cpshop
   General cpshop Support
(Moderator: Marty)
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Some users get errors when adding to cart.  (Read 464 times)
AmericanElephant
White Dragon

« on: 07/29/08 at 06:14:56 »
Reply with quote Modify message

I've searched the forum, forgive me if this has already been answered.. but I didn't see it.

My wife noticed this morning that whenever she tried to add anything to the shopping cart from my CPSHOP that it displayed an "internet connection" error.  We tried it on both IE 7 and Firefox.  Same thing.  

I tried from another PC in the house with the same versions of both browsers and had no trouble.  I also didn't have any trouble from my Mac... and have never noticed this before.

She can add to cart directly from CafePress, no problem... and can use other online stores.  I believe it is an anti-spyware routine running in the background preventing the affiliate links.  But am not quite sure.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this and have any idea of solutions?

If it is happening on her computer, its likely happening on others (which might explain some of the abandoned carts I've been watching through Clicky lately).  I'd hate to lose shop generated sales this way, especially with the new Volume Bonus program.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
XavierTico
Green Dragon

WWW E-Mail
Re: Some users get errors when adding to cart.
« Reply #1 on: 07/29/08 at 14:59:31 »

I have the same proplem from my machine. Also, when I'm linked through cpshop to certain sections of certain stores, the linked store only stays in cpshop template down three levels. The fourth level, (the product page) appears as the original page does, not inside the cpshop template. This doesn't occure for every shop. Also the link that appears when you hover over the "add to cart" button in the template the path to the cpshop.cgi shows. When you hover over it in other shops or on a product page in my own Cafepress shop the address that shows is /cp/addtocart/aspx.  That link works. The cpshop cgi link takes me to an error message. What does it all mean?

Pura vida!
Marty
Administrator Dragon

That's me. :)

WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 07/29/08 at 15:09:10 »

Can you each send me links to your shops, and example pages where I might see the problems?

--
Regards,
Marty·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> marty@marty.net
AmericanElephant
White Dragon

« Reply #3 on: 07/29/08 at 15:43:14 »

Marty,

The site is http://americanelephant.com

It seems to happen on my wife's laptop anytime she adds something to cart.  We tried multiple items one section deep, two sections deep, etc.

Again, this is the only machine we have the problem on. In IE 7, we get an Internet Connection error, and it stops at my main store link (americanelephant/cgi-bin/store).

In Firefox, I get a similar connection error message, but this time it shows the following: "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.apmebf.com." and the URL in the URL bar is some long thing at apmebf.com.

I know that (apmebf.com) is one of the affiliate domains commission junction uses, so I think that has something to do with it.

I get no error messages in my logs, and my tracking info (I use Clicky) doesn't show a problem either.
Marty
Administrator Dragon

WWW E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 07/29/08 at 15:52:12 »

So yes, that can happen when you have ad-blocking software installed.  Some is overzealous, and blocks any and all affiliate links it can find, even legitimate ones.

Nothing you can do about those instances, I'm afraid, at least not as a shopkeeper.

--
Regards,
AmericanElephant
White Dragon

« Reply #5 on: 07/29/08 at 17:17:09 »

Marty,

The products in question are my own designs, so there is no need for the affiliate links to even be involved.  With that in mind, is there anyway to disable/prevent this practice in cases where the CPSHOP owner and original CafePress store are the same people?

The only reason to interface with Commission Junction is if you are referring to someone elses designs and thus want to get a commission.  But its frustrating to think I'm losing a sale to my own store because it has to pass through CJ first.

Would it be terribly difficult for CPSHOP to check to see whether its your own shop or someone elses and change "Add To Cart" links accordingly?  That way the error we are talking about only happens when you are linking to someone else's products but not your own.

Alternatively, is it possible to pass an error message to customers and redirect them to your cafepress.com/store directly if this problem comes up?

Anything to keep from losing sales.
Marty
Administrator Dragon

WWW E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 07/29/08 at 17:19:42 »

I suppose I could...you'd have to maintain a list of the store IDs that shouldn't go through CJ, because I don't know how I'd tell programmatically which store IDs are yours and which aren't.

I'll think about it.  It's not a bad idea.

--
Regards,
AmericanElephant
White Dragon

« Reply #7 on: 07/29/08 at 18:34:36 »

Your the programmer, I gave that up a long time ago.  

Thanks for thinking about it.  Would be a nice addition to the software.
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to:

marty.net message board (http://www.marty.net/cgi/marty/board/messageboard)