Help! Add To Cart Problem

HOME

CPSHOP|

|

|

EMAIL MARTY
  marty.net message board
  « Help! Add To Cart Problem »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
12/12/17 at 17:58:01
Home Help Search Login Register
   marty.net message board
   About cpshop
   General cpshop Support
(Moderator: Marty)
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Help! Add To Cart Problem  (Read 6533 times)
dmp65
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

« on: 09/18/13 at 00:15:55 »
Reply with quote Modify message

I've just noticed that when I click on Add To Cart from any given product page, it goes to a blank Cafepress page: http://www.cafepress.ca/cp/addtocart.aspx

However, after the initial Add To Cart attempt, it will then work the second time and onward during the same browser session. If I close the browser, open a new one and try again, it goes to the blank CP Page all over again.

Any ideas as to why this is happening and how I can fix it? I'm certain I'm losing sales because of it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
oph3lia
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

Re: Help! Add To Cart Problem
« Reply #1 on: 09/18/13 at 15:40:28 »

I'm sorry I don't know how to help, but I suspect the trouble might have to do with being in a non-US location as I see you're showing a Canadian cart link.

Cafepress had a similar problem a few months ago with non-US visitors to shops (regular shop, not CPshop)... the first click to visit the shop would send the visitor to the default marketplace page as if it was a missing link, but subsequent clicks would work OK.

So I wonder if that problem is back. How is your regular shop on Cafepress and other shops behaving? Are those giving you a blank page on the first click too?
dmp65
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #2 on: 09/18/13 at 18:07:11 »

on 09/18/13 at 15:40:28, oph3lia wrote:
I'm sorry I don't know how to help, but I suspect the trouble might have to do with being in a non-US location as I see you're showing a Canadian cart link.

Cafepress had a similar problem a few months ago with non-US visitors to shops (regular shop, not CPshop)... the first click to visit the shop would send the visitor to the default marketplace page as if it was a missing link, but subsequent clicks would work OK.

So I wonder if that problem is back. How is your regular shop on Cafepress and other shops behaving? Are those giving you a blank page on the first click too?

I appreciate your response...this place can be a bit of a ghost town lately...lol.

You are bang on, it appears the problem is a result of Cafepress redirecting to a .ca shopping cart page which brings up an "Oops! Error" page, but then if I go back and try again, it goes through to a .com shopping cart page and works fine.

I tested this out on another site that I know uses CPShop and the same problem exists, so it's not specific to my installation of CPshop. However, I also tested it directly from a page in my CP Premium Shop and the product added to the cart on the first try, so something must be wonky between CPShop and Cafepress.

What I'm wondering is if it's not just Canada, but all domains outside of the US that are generating this error page when trying to add to the shopping cart. Either way, unless there's a change I can make to my cpdata.lib or cppage.lib code that will "force" the .com shopping cart no matter where the customer is located, I guess we're all stuck with this issue.

Dave
Bradley W. Schenck
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #3 on: 10/04/13 at 13:23:48 »

I just had a look through the CP Javascript and although I don't have a quick fix, I believe what's happening is that CP expects to  already know what country you're in before you add an item to the cart. Their own pages have already checked this; on ours, they  haven't.

That's why it works the second time. So I think that in order to fix this, we'd have to somehow start a session at CP (by loading a page, for example) before the user tries to view or add an item to the cart.

Say, maybe by loading the view cart page into a hidden iframe.

I'm thinking about it, but I don't claim to be the sharpest knife in the drawer.
« Last Edit: 10/04/13 at 13:24:56 by Bradley W. Schenck » Logged
Bradley W. Schenck
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #4 on: 10/04/13 at 13:37:36 »

I've tried the iFrame method on this page: http://shop.webomator.com/cgi-bin/retropolis.cgi/retro_future_mugs.Retropolis_Rocket_Works-870501818+relax-this-is-for-science-mug.html.

If someone outside the US could try to add that mug to their cart, we may find out if this workaround fixes the problem.
« Last Edit: 10/04/13 at 13:38:21 by Bradley W. Schenck » Logged
Bradley W. Schenck
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #5 on: 10/04/13 at 16:25:28 »

I posted a link to this at the Facebook Great Gear group and got some feedback. This fix worked in some, but not all, cases. I don't know why, but a partial success is better than none. This can't be considered a real fix because it doesn't work for everyone.

If you want to try it you need to add a hidden iframe to your product page templates (you could add it to all your templates if you want; I'm not sure if the "View Cart" links on other pages share the problem.).

It doesn't matter where it goes in (so long as it's in the body of the page). I've put it right below the opening body tag.

Here is the version you would use if you're using a Commission Junction affiliate account:

Code:
<iframe style="display:hidden;width:0px;height:0px;" name="hide_cart" id="hide_cart" src="http://www.cafepress.com/cp/viewcart.aspx?cjpid=YOUR_CJ_PID" ></iframe>

...or, if you also use a tracking id on your CJ links:

Code:
<iframe style="display:hidden;width:0px;height:0px;" name="hide_cart" id="hide_cart" src="http://www.cafepress.com/cp/viewcart.aspx?cjpid=YOUR_CJ_PID&amp;tid=YOUR CJ TID" ></iframe>

If you're not using any affiliate links, here's the plainest form:

Code:
<iframe style="display:hidden;width:0px;height:0px;" name="hide_cart" id="hide_cart" src="http://www.cafepress.com/cp/viewcart.aspx" ></iframe>

... Edited to improve the css styles on the iframes.
« Last Edit: 10/04/13 at 19:30:39 by Bradley W. Schenck » Logged
dmp65
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #6 on: 10/04/13 at 23:35:21 »

Bradley, you are a genius...and I sincerely appreciate you working on this to come up with a fix.

I added this code to my cp template, went to a product page and added to cart with no problem. I'm in Canada and so I obviously can't speak for other regions, but this worked for me.

The only thing..I added the code right after the body tag but it somehow messed up the layout of the page. So, I added it to the template just before the closing body tag and that seemed to not affect the page layout.

Thank you again. While we try to milk every last ounce out of CPshop, it's great to know there is someone out there like yourself to offer help.

Dave
Bradley W. Schenck
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #7 on: 10/05/13 at 00:23:19 »

Well, I don't think I'm being altruistic - I haven't seen a CPShop sale from outside the US in months now . Also I would have run into the same problem in something else I'm working on.

I hope this version of the fix is universal. More feedback is good!

It could probably be improved by picking the fastest loading page on the CP site and using that instead of the cart page.
oph3lia
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #8 on: 10/05/13 at 02:38:52 »

Thanks for sharing!
Bradley W. Schenck
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #9 on: 10/05/13 at 13:06:10 »

New and even more improved iframe code; should prevent any remaining layout issues.

Here is the version you would use if you're using a Commission Junction affiliate account:

Code:
<iframe frameborder=0 scrolling=no seamless style="display:hidden;width:0px;height:0px;" name="hide_cart" id="hide_cart" src="http://www.cafepress.com/cp/viewcart.aspx?cjpid=YOUR_CJ_PID"></iframe>

...or, if you also use a tracking id on your CJ links:

Code:
<iframe frameborder=0 scrolling=no seamless style="display:hidden;width:0px;height:0px;" name="hide_cart" id="hide_cart" src="http://www.cafepress.com/cp/viewcart.aspx?cjpid=YOUR_CJ_PID&tid=YOUR_CJ_TID"></iframe>

If you're not using any affiliate links, here's the plainest form:

Code:
<iframe frameborder=0 scrolling=no seamless style="display:hidden;width:0px;height:0px;" name="hide_cart" id="hide_cart" src="http://www.cafepress.com/cp/viewcart.aspx"></iframe>

I'm still hoping for feedback from more users outside the US since I'm not able to test this myself.
flowergarden
Silver Dragon

« Reply #10 on: 10/20/13 at 03:21:00 »

Bradley, Is this link only for commission junction pages or will it work in any CPshop template?  If this is a temporary fix for regular cpshop pages, I'd like to try it. Thank you.
Bradley W. Schenck
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #11 on: 10/20/13 at 12:38:18 »

I still haven't gotten enough feedback to be sure it works for everyone, but to the extent that it does work, it should work equally well on any page.

If you're not using CJ you'd want to use that last version.
tigaruk
Gold Dragon

www.carboncloth ing.net

WWW E-Mail
« Reply #12 on: 11/19/13 at 16:11:58 »

I made a thread about this a while back and we never got it fixed. I've also tried the page you linked to and the error still appears. Im based in the UK and it just came up with the UK cafepress error page.
Bradley W. Schenck
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #13 on: 11/19/13 at 16:19:08 »

tigaruk, could you tell me what device you're using when you look at the page? I ask because I know one of the early failures was on an iPhone. I thought I'd figured out why.
tigaruk
Gold Dragon

www.carboncloth ing.net

WWW E-Mail
« Reply #14 on: 12/18/13 at 14:28:25 »

PC using latest firefox.
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to:

marty.net message board (http://www.marty.net/cgi/marty/board/messageboard)