Credited sales from CPSHOP

HOME

CPSHOP|

|

|

EMAIL MARTY
  marty.net message board
  « Credited sales from CPSHOP »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
12/12/17 at 17:51:11
Home Help Search Login Register
   marty.net message board
   About cpshop
   Customization Help
(Moderator: Marty)
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Credited sales from CPSHOP  (Read 1891 times)
David

« on: 05/19/04 at 01:05:14 »
Reply with quote Modify message

Hello Marty,

I've built a couple of stores now using CPSHOP and it works great!

However...  I've had these stores operating before without CPSHOP for a long period of time and have a pretty good knowledge of what to expect in sales per 100s of page views.  

Since converting these sites to CPSHOP, my sales disappeared!!!  Plus, I'm using paid marketing via pay-per-clicks from both Google and Overture, so I have plenty of clicks every day.

I followed your installation instructions but didn't change the customization page on cafepress with your code (largely because I sell a great deal through cafepress, too).  This is addressed in "Step Four" of your installation where we are supposed to change the Store Description to the final location of the cpshop.pl.

The first store I list below I direct to both a free shop, and to a folder of products on a premium shop.  The second store is directed strictly to a hidden folder on my premium shop.

Can you advise me if I'm doing something wrong?  Here are my shop URLs:

http://www.halfmyheart.com

http://www.bumprstickrz.com

Thanks for all your help Marty!

Dave

Marty
Administrator Dragon

That's me. :)

WWW E-Mail
Re: Credited sales from CPSHOP
« Reply #1 on: 05/19/04 at 01:57:46 »

Well, from a usability standpoint, there is one huge problem: you don't have a link to the shopping cart.  So even if someone does add something to the cart, they can't get back to it without adding something else to the cart.  And that means people trying to checkout, but failing.

Secondly -- and this is a personal preference -- by using both frames and pop-up windows in your store, you're risking potential customer losses (annoyance factor, malfunctioning pop-up blockers, etc).  cpshop supports it, certainly, but I'd always recommend running a frame-less store, and having the shopping cart appear in the same window, given the option.

Finally, I'd recommend you increase the markup on your non-stickers.  I know one's first inclination is to keep prices closest to reasonable, but think of it this way: do you think you're more likely to sell 6 shirts at $14.99 than sell 1 shirt at $19.99?  

Otherwise, I don't see anything specifically wrong.  When did your store go live?
« Last Edit: 05/19/04 at 01:58:21 by Marty » Logged

--
Regards,
Marty·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> marty@marty.net
David

« Reply #2 on: 05/19/04 at 07:42:53 »

I've just had them up for 4 days now.  Ooops, I see the need for a cart button!

So if I want to have the cart on the same page it looks like I need to add the code in my customization page (?) or when you hit "keep shopping" within the cart the entire window shuts down right away!  That works okay when its a popup, but not when it is within your normal page.

I'll try your tips and see how it goes.

Thanks, and I'll let you know my results.

David
Marty
Administrator Dragon

WWW E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 05/19/04 at 10:17:45 »

Try using the <[cart]> template tag in your template.

--
Regards,
David

« Reply #4 on: 05/20/04 at 15:10:24 »

I think I'll have to keep the frames, since I need to maintain my URL (in the address bar) while on a shopping cart page (since my cgi-bin is on another server).  Unless you have a way to change the URL address output.

I'm adjusting the following site now:

www.halfmyheart.com

I'd like to put my shopping cart within a frameset (unless you can resolve above), but even after changing the admin page to stay within the same window, it does not perform that way and eliminates my frameset and goes to top.  Then, when you hit on "keep shopping" it goes to some kind of default store with "Cruelty Pageant" items.  Where does this store come from?

Marty
Administrator Dragon

WWW E-Mail
« Reply #5 on: 05/20/04 at 17:59:10 »

First of all, you can't keep the shopping cart within frames.  In the default install of IE 5.5, the security settings are set to alert anyone when a secure shopping cart page is embedded in a non-secure frameset.  That causes most people to bail out before checking out.  As a result, the CP pages break out of frames to combat that problem.

(Frankly, you wouldn't want it to stay in frames anyway; that security error would lose you a significant number of sales.)

If you're really concerned about keeping your domain name in the browser -- which, personally, I think is an overrated concern -- then you're better off using the pop-up or new window.

You also might consider also sticking the view-cart link in the same template as your shop on the halfmyheart site.  I couldn't find the link at first -- it never occurred to me that it would be in amongst your page navigation.

As for the Cruelty Pageant thing, I've seen it before, but why it's happening in this case I'm not sure.  I can't actually see it on your site right now, of course, which is probably part of the problem.

--
Regards,
David

« Reply #6 on: 05/21/04 at 03:38:12 »

I discovered where the Cruelty Pageant shop comes from...  

http://www.cafeshops.com/cpshop

This is now the reason for me not using my cart within my main window, because when you click on "keep shopping" it goes to this  Pageant shop (when the cart is a popup then clicking "keep shopping" just closes the popup).  "cpshop" isn't in my list of stores.  I'm pretty sure this relates to my cpshop.pl file, since when I feed in a direct path to this file in my cgi-bin, it outputs the Cruelty Pageant shop.  My only adjustment to the cpshop.pl file was to add the script_dir path - "d:/64.224.XX.XXX/cgi-bin/store2/" ...  somehow Cruelty Pageant has become my default.  I'd like to direct the "keep shopping" to the html page of my choice..  it would be nice to build a navigation page so customers could easily go to where they want.  (I'll play with this tomorrow, but if you have ideas... they are always welcome and helpful!)

I put the cart link in my menu just as a quickfix. Great idea on adding the "view cart" to my shop, but when I do it also adds "store home" automatically.  This is okay, but I have two shops using the same admin page, so I'll have to split them out into separate settings to do this.  Any way to just have the cart link alone?  I clear the  "home link name" but after each save "store home" reappears.  Temporarily, I put a 1-pixel gif in , but if you look on my sites, the separation bar between this gif and "view cart" remains..  

Cruelty Pageant remains my main issue.

Thanks for all your great support!

David  
Marty
Administrator Dragon

WWW E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 05/24/04 at 11:16:29 »

For the cart link, try using <[cart]> in the template, and turn the linkbar off.

As for the Cruelty Pageant stuff, try turning clean URLs off.

--
Regards,
David

« Reply #8 on: 05/26/04 at 01:11:23 »

I turned "clean URLs" off and that did get rid of the Cruelty Pageant. (YEAH!)  And I put <[cart]> in my template and that worked like a charm! (double YEAH!)

Now it won't merge multiple stores on one output, it gives a page showing each store separate - "Miscellaneous Stuff 1" and so on... Is there a way to get my stores to merge again, or should I just restructure my CP accounts and organize new folders to match the structure?

I'm using your "cpshopuser" as my dummy store (to minimize my cart look).  Can I have the cart output within a page template (no frames)?  I know I can via using my regular cp premium account to create headers and footers (which I've done for my shop running on the cp search engine)...  but that only will allow me to create one unique look.

Suggestion:  It would be nice if you have a page for your customers URLs...  It would give many nice examples and perhaps would answer some questions via example.   I think it would also help promote how great CPSHOP really is!  Just an idea...

CPSHOP is A+++!

David

David

« Reply #9 on: 05/26/04 at 01:13:09 »

Oh...  I'm doing my testing on a mirrored location:

www.halfmyheartisiniraq.com

Thanks again!
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to:

marty.net message board (http://www.marty.net/cgi/marty/board/messageboard)