Help needed with filters...  Please;)

HOME

CPSHOP|

|

|

EMAIL MARTY
  marty.net message board
  « Help needed with filters...  Please;) »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
12/18/17 at 18:42:30
Home Help Search Login Register
   marty.net message board
   About cpshop
   Customization Help
(Moderator: Marty)
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Help needed with filters...  Please;)  (Read 731 times)
lovethetroops
Silver Dragon

Support our Troops!

« on: 10/04/05 at 17:26:24 »
Reply with quote Modify message

I am having a problem with getting a filter to work.  I have the drop down box in my shop with only three items being able to be selected, I wanted to start off small to see if it would work.

Right now I can not even get one to work.  Here is what I am putting in the fields...

store id: lovethetroops.all,cpfilter_type:126
name: Ringer T-shirts
alias: ringer

In the html of my template for the drop down box...
<option value="http://www.lovethetroops.com/cgi-bin/cpshop.cgi/ringer">Ringer T-Shirts</option>

I have not put anything in the wildcard box, I do not even know what a wild card is.  I have tried to read all the messages regarding filters but I am so totally lost that I can not think straight.  If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Kim
http://www.lovethetroops.com - with noting in the filters so you can see my page =(
« Last Edit: 10/04/05 at 17:27:37 by lovethetroops » Logged
Marty
Administrator Dragon

That's me. :)

WWW E-Mail
Re: Help needed with filters...  Please;)
« Reply #1 on: 10/04/05 at 23:40:55 »

Okay, Kim.  To start, I've upgraded you to rc5, so you don't have to worry about that for now.  However, in the future, to upgrade:

1. Go to the download area.
2. Use your cpshop username and password to download the most recent Unix update zip file.  For instance, the current file would be cpshop2.0rc5-Unix-update.zip.
3. Save the file to your computer, and unzip it (using WinZip or Windows' built-in compressed files extraction) to a folder on your computer.
4. Using an FTP program (like WS_FTP LE), upload the contents of the file to the cpshop directory on your server.  Your cpshop directory happens to be /lovethetroops.com/store.  Make sure you upload in ASCII mode.  (Check your FTP software's documentation for more info on ASCII, if you're not familiar with it.)

At that point, you're upgraded.  Test out your store.  If, for some reason something doesn't work, make sure CafePress' site is up, and if it is, try uploading the previous version of cpshop.  If you still have problems beyond that, contact me immediately.

Okay, on to your current problem.

Your server actually had cpshop's main script file installed at the homepage level:

http://www.lovethetroops.com/index.cgi

That's a nice thing, because it was setup to mirror your current CafePress premium shop.  cpshop can mirror a premium shop cleanly if you only enter its store ID into the admin panel, and no others.

Now, you were hoping to add filtered views by product type.  While that's a great idea, it does make your cpshop install more complicated, because you'd be entering more options.

Instead of following that path, I have a better idea.

To make things a little simpler for you, I've installed a second copy of cpshop on your server.  (It still uses files from your cpshop install directory, so you only have to upgrade in one place.)  The second cpshop install is called more.cgi, and it's located here:

http://www.lovethetroops.com/store/more.cgi

The idea is that you leave index.cgi with the one store ID entry (lovethetroops) so it can go on mirroring your shop.  But with more.cgi, you can setup new filters, experiment with other things -- basically take full advantage of cpshop.

Now, when you go to the admin panel, you can choose the cpshop install you want to work on from the drop down box at the top of the screen.

So, within your more.cgi install, through the admin screen I've pre-entered the example you typed in above for "ringer."  But I've done it a little differently.

In the wildcard box marked 1* or *, I've entered:

lovethetroops.all

And then in the first store entry area I've entered:

Store ID: *, cpfilter_type:126
Name: Ringer T-shirts
Alias: ringer

Notice the asterisk in the Store ID field?  That asterisk refers to the contents of the 1st wildcard field.  It essentially translates to "replace this asterisk with the contents of the first wildcard field."  So that Store ID box could actually have:

lovethetroops.all, cpfilter_type:126

and it would be exactly the same.

So, now that I've entered the ringer text and saved it, you can see your new ringer section here:

http://www.lovethetroops.com/store/more.cgi/ringer

(Keep in mind that as I type this, CafePress is down for maintenance, so the link likely won't work until morning.)

That URL is the one you should use for your product type dropdown box.

Anyway, is that enough to get you started in the right direction?

--
Regards,
Marty·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> marty@marty.net
lovethetroops
Silver Dragon

Support our Troops!

« Reply #2 on: 10/06/05 at 08:19:28 »

Marty,

I have to say thanks for your selfless service and commitment in helping the code challenged individuals like myself.  You provide the knowledge and service that helps to teach as well as guide myself and others to do for themselves, which is a good thing.  I have learned so much more about the web and coding since I have been involved  with CPshop and trying to get my domain to seemlessly resemble my Cafepress shop.  I actually believe my Cafepress shop has turned out looking better since I have started my own domain and have had the ability to really imploy my own ideas and get that across to my Cafepress shop.  I salute you and will always remember your willingness to help me during my time of need. It takes a very special person to dovote their leisure time helping others on short notice and come to the aid of a strugling and sometimes frustrated coder. And through it all you always have a clear answer, charming wit, and a persistant commitment to resolve the problem without regard for your personal issues.  Your example is a wonderful lesson to us all.  If only all of us could follow that example the world would be a better place.

Thank You,
Kim
Marty
Administrator Dragon

That's me. :)

WWW E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 10/06/05 at 14:18:24 »

Aw shucks.  You're quite welcome.

And now I'm blushing.  

--
Regards,
Marty·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> marty@marty.net
dice
White Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #4 on: 10/06/05 at 19:43:00 »

Well said, Kim! I can't think of any product or service I've purchased online or offline which offers the kind of support Marty does.
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to:

marty.net message board (http://www.marty.net/cgi/marty/board/messageboard)