marty.net 1001 Postcards Love Love Love Meep Meep ZenZodiac DailyQuotation

YOU ARE HERE:
Sections/subsections with basic shops???

HOME

CPSHOP|

|

|

EMAIL MARTY
  marty.net message board
  « Sections/subsections with basic shops??? »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
12/18/17 at 06:54:47
Home Help Search Login Register
   marty.net message board
   About cpshop
   Customization Help
(Moderator: Marty)
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Sections/subsections with basic shops???  (Read 1332 times)
brattytees
Gold Dragon

ack!

« on: 09/18/06 at 13:17:51 »
Reply with quote Modify message

OK, after many months of having my install of cpshop up and running, I am going to try once again to break a section into subsections instead of the section now going to 15 pages of products pulled from about 10 different basic shops.

Can this even be done with just basic shops? I dug through all the filters (not gonna help here it doesn't look like 'cause they are all basic shops) and other info I can find to no avail.

I presently have a section that I would like to break into 5 or more subsections, with the section page just having thumbnails corresponding to the sub sections (I have a functioning page setup here - http://www.brattytees.com/cgi-bin/store/racing.cgi), and the subsections page would have thumbnails representing each basic shop, so when you click a thumbnail on the subsection page you would go to a page with all the products from that particular basic shop. I also have a sample subsection page setup here - http://www.brattytees.com/cgi-bin/store/gordon.cgi .

So, I guess, how do I integrate this using cpshop. I've looked at everything I can think of for the last 8 hours and nothing works. I can't tell racing.cgi that I want it to use gordon.cgi in the id field of racing.cgi, it doesn't work, of course.

Any ideas GREATLY appreciated at this point.
« Last Edit: 11/07/06 at 08:10:27 by brattytees » Logged
brattytees
Gold Dragon

ack!

Re: Sections/subsections with basic shops???
« Reply #1 on: 11/07/06 at 08:07:43 »

No luck yet, and no ideas I guess.

If I could use the cpfilter_literal filter I think I could get where I wanted to be, just list all the store id's for the subsection I wanted and bam, there it is. BUT, cpfilter_literal only works with premium shop sections, it doesn't work with basic shop id's. At least that's what the instructions say and when I tried it didn't do anything.

So anybody have any suggestions using any combinatin of the other filters to do this? I'm totally stumped here, or just can't see the forest for the trees maybe.

And, I'm not ready to go the premium shop route yet, so that's not the answer right now.

Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: 11/07/06 at 08:08:47 by brattytees » Logged
Bradley W. Schenck
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #2 on: 11/07/06 at 08:31:50 »

It sounds like what you want is a separate page (or pages) for each basic shop, and a menu to get to them all...?

If you make a separate Shop ID for each basic shop, that gives you the framework - then if you're not getting the menu you want out of CPShop you could lay out your own static menu page and use that as the CPShop home page, right?

Unless I'm missing something.  Wouldn't be the first time .
brattytees
Gold Dragon

ack!

« Reply #3 on: 11/07/06 at 11:40:36 »

on 11/07/06 at 08:31:50, Bradley W. Schenck wrote:
It sounds like what you want is a separate page (or pages) for each basic shop, and a menu to get to them all...?

Thanks - that sounds about right. What I have now is a static html page (actually php page) for the main home page of the site (www.brattytees.com), then I have 3 seperate installs of cpshop.cgi for the 3 different main sections (categories). Two of the sections don't have or need subsections, so they just go directly to category thumbnail pages. It's the third section that I''m stuck on. It needs to have sub-sections (which it does), but the sub-sections need to have sub-sections (hope that makes sense) which is where I'm stuck.

I need the sub-sub-sections, which are all single basic shops each with their own id,

Maybe if I do a diagram it will be clearer.

Home page
 Cat 1 thumbnail cat page (this works fine)
 Cat 2 thumbnail cat page (this works fine)
 Cat 3 category page with links to        Sub-cat pages (this page is fine - it's  after this that I'm stuck)
   Sub-cat 1 - this is were I'm stuck - I would like this page(s), instead of combining about 8 different shops into 15 sub-cat pages, to be similar to the above Cat 3 page, with links to each individual shop (design) and so on for Sub-cat 2, 3, etc... below
   Sub-cat 2
   Sub-cat 3

If you look at the "racing" category at the actual site you'll be able to see exactlly what I mean. I'd like each design (which is each an individual Shop ID) to be it's own sub-sub category instead of how it is now combining all individual shops into 15 pages of thumbnails (taking the "Johnson" sub-cat as an example).
« Last Edit: 11/07/06 at 11:46:23 by brattytees » Logged
Bradley W. Schenck
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #4 on: 11/07/06 at 11:57:46 »

Actually a diagram helps a lot, that's great.

If it were me, I might be doing all of this with a single CPShop - but that's pretty much irrelevant, since it can work either way.

What I would do would be to make the Cat 3 Category page a static page; I'd configure each Basic shop as its own Store ID, and make my own links on the Cat 3 page to CPShop's addresses for those Store IDs.

I have an example of this exact thing, though I'm not crazy about my nav bar there.  It's here:  http://www.theretrovert.com/carousel_animals.shtml

This is a static HTML page.  The row of circular images at the top of the page are  CPShop links; each of those sections is a single, complete Basic shop.  So that page is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

In my case, I'm using the same nav bar in the templates for those sections - you might or might not want to do that.

This might result in a breadrumb trail that you don't want; I'm not sure.  But again, if it were me, I'd counterract that by putting my own breadcrumb into the templates using the breadcrumb tag along with whatever changes I wanted to make to the overall structure of the trail, and then I'd set the config to NOT show a breadcrumb because I've put it into the template myself.

If that doesn't make sense, ignore it unless you see something you don't like in your breadcrumb trail.

brattytees
Gold Dragon

ack!

« Reply #5 on: 11/07/06 at 12:57:48 »

Thanks! I was somehow trying to find a way to leave the Cat 3 Category page as is (CPShop generated) and maybe substitue the CPShop generated links for static links to the Sub-Cat pages, because the Sub-Cat pages are where I really need the page similar to the one you have in your link above (which is what I'm after). But that wouldn't work, the Cat 3 page needs to be static now, darn, along with the Sub-Cat pages under it, double darn.

I had kind of hoped I could do it all without resorting to a bunch more static html pages, hence the questions and the multiple instances of CPShop installs (the multiple installs go back over a year or more - forgot where I was going with that at the time and now I've got too many search engine listings to start rearranging everything).

Actually if I had a Premium shop it looks like I could very easily accomplish what I want with the cpfilter_literal filter and no static html pages, but ... hey Marty, could you change that filter to work with Basic shops, too ... pretty please

Thanks much for the input, Bradley. I appreciate it very much. Not what I wanted to here (more static pages) but at least I know I'm not totally crazy trying to do something that can't seem to be done with my current setup.
« Last Edit: 11/07/06 at 12:59:13 by brattytees » Logged
Bradley W. Schenck
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #6 on: 11/07/06 at 13:08:27 »

No problem.  I guess the way I look at any tool like this is that it'll do a bunch of things really well (and it does!) but if I want to structure my site a little bit differently, I'll need to roll a solution of my own .
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to:

marty.net message board (http://www.marty.net/cgi/marty/board/messageboard)