am I doing this the hard way?

HOME

CPSHOP|

|

|

EMAIL MARTY
  marty.net message board
  « am I doing this the hard way? »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
12/13/17 at 19:02:42
Home Help Search Login Register
   marty.net message board
   About cpshop
   Customization Help
(Moderator: Marty)
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: am I doing this the hard way?  (Read 896 times)
Alfie
White Dragon

Beware of Cat!

« on: 06/01/07 at 13:11:34 »
Reply with quote Modify message

So, I've begun customizing my page and everything was going ok... I thought..
But maybe I'm doing this the hard way, Should I be using Hooks instead of seperate pages?
I've taken each product (it's a small product line) and made a seperate shtml file for them. So that way my main page can look very different from everything else. The problem I've ran into is that the main page looks great now, and the second product pages look great but when you move onto an individual item I loose all my styling.
http://www.luongoism.com

Thanks
Marty
Administrator Dragon

That's me. :)

WWW E-Mail
Re: am I doing this the hard way?
« Reply #1 on: 06/01/07 at 23:05:00 »

I'm not entirely certain of what you're trying to do, but I'm pretty sure it is the hard way.

Before you try anything else, have you tried just using the 3 different template settings (default template, thumbnail page template and product page template)?  And have you tried actually customizing the template to actually be styled?

You certainly don't have to put everything into its own shtml file.

--
Regards,
Marty·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> marty@marty.net
Alfie
White Dragon

Beware of Cat!

« Reply #2 on: 06/03/07 at 16:34:04 »

Ok... Thanks, this has got me closer I think.

How does the Default HTML Template interact with the thumbnail and product templates? Am I supposed to be able to set up the defaul template as my "home page"? Or is it easier to set up a "static" home page the way I want it and then link to specific dynamic thumbnail pages through cpshop off of the homepage? I hope that makes sense.
All I'm trying to accompish here is to have the home page have a bit of extra stuff on it that the other pages don't have.
Marty
Administrator Dragon

WWW E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 06/03/07 at 17:40:37 »

The homepage uses the Default HTML Template.

The thumbnail pages use the Thumbnail Page HTML Template, if there is one.  Otherwise, they'll use the Default HTML Template.

The product pages use the Product Page HTML Template, if there is one.  Otherwise, they'll also use the Default HTML Template.

To accomplish what you're aiming for, you should create two templates.  Enter the homepage one as the Default HTML Template.  Enter the other one as both the Thumbnail Page HTML Template and the Product Page HTML Template.

--
Regards,
Alfie
White Dragon

Beware of Cat!

« Reply #4 on: 06/03/07 at 20:12:22 »

Wow.. "am I doing this the hard way" didn't really size up how I was doing it at all was it.... "am I doing this the stupid way" would have been much much more accurate...
Thank you for coming across so patient Marty. I've been having a huge mental block trying to figure out the definitions of what a store is and such all week. But, playing around with these last couple posts of information got my head to break through that. So now I'm up and running for at least a while, till I hit my next wall...
Thanks!
lgbtees
Silver Dragon

Default Template vs. Thumbnail Page HTML Template
« Reply #5 on: 10/14/07 at 09:17:11 »

If I have a Default HTML Template specified AND a Thumbnail Page HTML Template specified, the thumbnail template overrides the default template when I go to index.cgi (the home page).

Are there any control panel options I might have selected that would make this happen?  I remember I tried about a year ago to work with separate templates and it seemed like changes I made to one were affecting more than just that one, so I decided to abandon that path and try other approaches.  Instead I created an HTML page outside of the script to use as my home page, and entered the URL for that separate page as the homepage URL in the control panel, problem solved.  But in the cphop forums someone pointed out that the "Keep Shopping" link on the shopping cart page sends users to the script homepage by default, which is not my "real" homepage, so I'm back to trying to establish separate templates.

If I have a product page template defined, it minds its own business and does what it's told.  But if I have a thumbnail template, the home page uses that template (whether or not a default HTML template is specified).

Thanks,
Adam
« Last Edit: 10/14/07 at 09:20:30 by lgbtees » Logged
Marty
Administrator Dragon

WWW E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 10/14/07 at 11:32:23 »

If you only have one store ID entry, I believe cpshop will use the Thumbnail template (if it's set), because your home page is effectively a thumbnail page.

I can see how that could be frustrating though.  Let me think about it a bit.

--
Regards,
Marty
Administrator Dragon

WWW E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 10/15/07 at 01:55:05 »

I've tried to address this with beta7.  Can you try it out?

--
Regards,
lgbtees
Silver Dragon

« Reply #8 on: 10/15/07 at 06:24:02 »

Yep, it works!  I tried it with just a thumbnail template, and the home page didn't adopt it; and then I pointed the Default HTML Template to a separate file, and both worked!  Very nice!

I did notice though that I was getting the "Error on page" note in IE, and unfortunately I can't swear if it was happening with the previous version or not.  This is on my test installation at http://LGBTees.com/mts/index.cgi but I'm not getting it on my main (pre-beta7) installation at http://LGBTees.com/index.cgi -- thought you might want to know just in case it's the script and not my test index-page HTML.  

The error details are:

Line: 100
Char: 1
Error: Object expected
Code: 0
URL: http://lgbtees.com/mts/index.cgi

Thanks for the rapid response!

-Adam
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to:

marty.net message board (http://www.marty.net/cgi/marty/board/messageboard)