Keywords In Individual Store Pages

HOME

CPSHOP|

|

|

EMAIL MARTY
  marty.net message board
  « Keywords In Individual Store Pages »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
12/13/17 at 17:08:58
Home Help Search Login Register
   marty.net message board
   About cpshop
   Customization Help
(Moderator: Marty)
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Keywords In Individual Store Pages  (Read 702 times)
randerin
Silver Dragon

Fear is the mindkiller...
    MrAlt2d

WWW E-Mail
« on: 08/01/07 at 05:41:01 »
Reply with quote Modify message

How important is it to individualize the keywords or description in each differant store in a single script? (as opposed to having identical keywords and description for all stores in the script.)

I know this is primarily a SEO question... But, I don't want to shoot myself in the foot on that front. Does having a more focused keyword set for each store trump out the advantage of repeating the same ones in every store?

Regards,

Randy

http://www.theclevermouse.com
http://www.dlgbabywear.com
http://www.belovedbeans.com
brattytees
Gold Dragon

ack!

Re: Keywords In Individual Store Pages
« Reply #1 on: 08/01/07 at 10:03:56 »

I wouldn't waste a lot of time or effort on keywords but maybe a little more time and effort on description.

The keywords tag should have been made obsolete by now, it's been so abused that it's pretty worthless to most SE's.

Some still use the description tag, but many will pull text right off your page to use, unless, of course, there isn't any text, or relevant text, on your page.

I also found, by accident, that Google likes the <noscript> tag, although I wouldn't abuse it, nor anything else.

What I do is put a couple general keywords in for each store id and a quick, basic description, usually the name of the shirt. Since I have all basic shops it easy since each shop only has one design. Then I conctrate my efforts on the actual pages themselves for keywords. Keywords on the pages, within relevant text, count.

Quote:
Does having a more focused keyword set for each store trump out the advantage of repeating the same ones in every store?

There is no advantage to having a bunch of pages with the same keywords/description. Each page is individual and so should have it's own keywords/description if your looking for SEO. A SE doesn't group your pages together and say "oh, these pages have all the same keyword/description so they must be more important than those others". I hope that's what you meant.
« Last Edit: 08/01/07 at 12:52:48 by brattytees » Logged
brattytees
Gold Dragon

ack!

Re: Keywords In Individual Store Pages
« Reply #2 on: 08/01/07 at 11:00:46 »

Oh, I forgot to add this about the META description.

There has been speculation for awhile now that Google has started using the META description tag again, but not for just search results. People have been playing with leaving the same description tag across a whole site versus a unique description tag (and TITLE) for each page. It seems the pages with the same description tag across the whole site were much more likely to end up in Google's Supplemental index.

So, just like everything you hear about Google, believe what you want. Some claim you can't get out of the SI once you're in it unless you aquire some good links. I played with some pages of a site that were in the SI, changing only text, title and description tags and the pages came out of the SI and back into the Main index.

YMMV.

edit - crud, too busy, keep forgetting things. Just a heads up on the SI, Google announced yesterday (July 31 2007) they would no longer show the "Supplemental Result" tag in the SERPS. So now you won't know what pages are, or aren't, in the SI.

I checked a few pages I knew were there and tis seems to be a done deal.
« Last Edit: 08/01/07 at 11:34:18 by brattytees » Logged
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to:

marty.net message board (http://www.marty.net/cgi/marty/board/messageboard)