How do I intergrate a template?

HOME

CPSHOP|

|

|

EMAIL MARTY
  marty.net message board
  « How do I intergrate a template? »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
12/14/17 at 04:10:44
Home Help Search Login Register
   marty.net message board
   About cpshop
   Customization Help
(Moderator: Marty)
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: How do I intergrate a template?  (Read 547 times)
Terry
Green Dragon

Go Scots!

« on: 08/14/08 at 04:57:29 »
Reply with quote Modify message

After hours upon hours of reading this forum and Marty's instructions and working with cp admin, bluehost and dreamweaver I am completely at wit's end on the basics.

First, I can not even get my website to reflect what my cp premium shop looks like. My website does not show the cp template or even borders around the thumbnails. It is functional but zero in visual appeal.

Cp store:
http://www.cafepress.com/obamamegastore

My website-
http://www.obamamegastore.com/

Second, I can not even get the title of cpshop Demo Store off my homepage. No changes that I make to I the cptemplate.html will show up on my website and I have checked that the changes are stored on the bluehost server and are embedded in the html codes.

( I have been over that cp admin like a 100 times and tried everything I can think of. When I create a new homepage.html and put it on my remote folders my website says it is not on my server - while in the next window over I am looking at it on bluehost )

Third, I have worked really hard to put together around 300 designs and I really, really want some easy way to get this website up and running complete with all the options to incorporate flash animations, links and of course some sound. Can this be done using the WYSIWYG design window in adobe dreamweaver and allow the program to work out the HTML codes?

I have never worked with perl scripts or cgi.files before and any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

sai
White Dragon

Go Scots!

Re: How do I intergrate a template?
« Reply #1 on: 08/14/08 at 08:23:51 »

Hi,

I think the easiest thing to do is start with your template first since you already have one and insert cpshop content into it rather than the other way around. For me I just created my template and slotted <[content]> into the content area.

You could download your cafepress template (if it isn't on your PC then go to your cafepress page and save the page) and remove the top cafepress bar. And remove the content to replace with <[content]>

The dropdown would also need to be edited to use cpshop filters and I don't really know much about sidebar design links in cpshop.

Alternatively there are areas within cpadmin where you can change styles and you may want to play with those. If you used a Cafepress template and aren't HTML savvy then maybe someone here who also ported a Cafepress template can help. I created my template from scratch.

Best of luck.
« Last Edit: 08/14/08 at 08:25:48 by sai » Logged
Marty
Administrator Dragon

That's me. :)

WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 08/14/08 at 10:30:28 »

Your template is currently set to cptemplate.html.

I see that you've been updating the Product Page HTML template field, which probably isn't what you're looking for.

If you want to use a different template, you need to update the Default HTML Template field, located near the top of cpadmin.

I'd recommend you try setting the Default HTML Template to:

/home2/obamameg/public_html/barrackbucks/cptemplate.html

--
Regards,
Marty·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> marty@marty.net
Terry
Green Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #3 on: 08/15/08 at 02:37:08 »

Thanks White Dragon,

I am playing around with your suggestions.
Terry
Green Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #4 on: 08/15/08 at 03:30:43 »

Hi Marty,

I see now a bit of the errors of my ways. I am sorta of use to uploading to GoDaddy through one FTP account and Bluehost is a horse of a different color - actually a bred apart. You have to be specific about where you are in that FTP network.

However there is a learning curve and I am trying to figure it out.

Simple point in case:

With Adobe Dreamweaver using the WYSISYG I can upload a png image file to Godaddy and it shows up flawlessly.

This is a local city website I am working on and have inserted a CafePress design image for a test:

www.VirtualToursOfMemphis.com

flawless reproduction!

I insert the same png using dreamweaver into the editable section of the cptemplate.html onto the bluehost server and it has that really sick X instead of a picture.

www.ObamaMegaStore.com

Is that because I am dealing with pearl scripts or is it because of some funky monkey that is apart of blue host?

Are there any forum posts that you would recommend I study either here or on CafePress that would guide me through creating a smooth integrated website?

sai
White Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #5 on: 08/15/08 at 03:56:03 »

It may depend on where you are saying the image is in your html (and how that relates to where you installed cpshop and where you actually put the image etc.).

To avoid confusion I think its recommended to use direct paths to any images if you haven't already.
e.g.
http://www.obamamegastore.com/images/myimage.png

Instead of:
images/myimage.png
« Last Edit: 08/15/08 at 03:57:54 by sai » Logged
Terry
Green Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #6 on: 08/20/08 at 05:20:55 »

Hi again Sai,

I messed around with your suggestion - actually messed around with ALOT of settings. It turned out my problem was in the manage site of dreamweaver. Where with Godaddy basic account you do not need to specify the Host Directory file with Bluehost you do.

Setting that to public_html and paying attention to what I was doing with my html folders on the remote server allowed me to at least get text,images and flash on the homepage above the cgi content.

Making that homepage template global is what has allowed me to bang my head against the wall the last few days. ( You know you are doing something wrong when you wake up in the middle of the night and dig a chunk of brick out of your skull)

I am going to send Marty an e-mail and see if there is some way I can get the ball rolling with his mighty mind and his mighty skills.

Thanks for the feedback.

Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to:

marty.net message board (http://www.marty.net/cgi/marty/board/messageboard)