categories?

HOME

CPSHOP|

|

|

EMAIL MARTY
  marty.net message board
  « categories? »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
12/12/17 at 10:12:52
Home Help Search Login Register
   marty.net message board
   About cpshop
   Customization Help
   categories?
(Moderator: Marty)
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: categories?  (Read 1009 times)
stolzyboy
Green Dragon

Go Scots!

categories?
« on: 10/05/09 at 14:03:08 »
Reply with quote Modify message

I just got cpshop installed on my domain.

How do you create "Categories" on the shop page so it's like you have to click Shirts or Bags or whatever before you see the list of all of them?

I don't want a laundry list of all the items.

I did a search on this board for category and didn't come up with anything so forgive me if it's answered somewhere else.
Bradley W. Schenck
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

Re: categories?
« Reply #1 on: 10/06/09 at 11:30:08 »

You use product type filters in your store IDs to restrict Ids to certain products.   A store ID is what you're calling "categories", more or less.
glau
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #2 on: 11/29/10 at 07:13:23 »

Product ID's are ok if you sell other things like mugs and caps etc but what if you only sell t-shirts and you want to have a list of categories on the left nav for things like for example; Fun/Humor, Popular, TV, Sports etc?

So I would just like to have some categories made up so I can categorize my designs and offer this to the customer so they can look in certain interest sectors.

I realize I could hand code categories into my nav menu but how would I filter the category page to show say only "Sports" related t-shirts?

Scare friends with Shocking TShirts
Eco Tees
glau
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #3 on: 11/29/10 at 08:23:07 »

ok after looking at this further I'm seeing more options but still very confused.

So after reading that page by Marty it says things like this:

Quote:
To accomplish that layout, here's what you would enter in the store ID fields on the admin screen:

* Shirts & Sweatshirts
     catid.all,dogid.all,fishid.all,cpfilter_name:shirt, cpfilter_name:tank+top
   * Mugs

and further down the page he says:

"Only Products With "Cat" In The Name
catid.all,dogid.all,fishid.all, cpfilter_name:~cat~ "

I'm totally lost, is he saying I would put this "catid.all,dogid.all,fishid.all, cpfilter_name:~cat~" into a new storeID in the CP Shop Admin panel?

For one, it is extremly long and 2, it would probably cause errors as you can't use storeID's over 15 characters.

It's very confusing, why can't instructions be much more clear instead of feeling like you have to have a degree in CGI to understand all this?

Ok let me try to be clear about what I'm doing and what I want to achieve.

First take a look at the example website I found on this forum by another member:  http://www.tshirtcrusade.com

Now you will see they have categories on the left hand side, things like "Guitar", "Twilight" & "Peace"

if we choose "Peace" it will take you to a page that has a list of products and I notice the url is now saying http://www.tshirtcrusade.com/index.cgi/peace

I also notice the products all have the word "Peace" in front of them followed by a . and then the StoreID.

So let's take my website (still in the rough development stage) http://www.ecotees.org/

Now I have manually put 1 category on the top left called "Pure" as there is 3 t-shirts that all start with the term "Pure". So I made a link to http://www.ecotees.org/index.php/pure but when you go to it the page looks horrible and it has all the products and it's not filtered. You can also go direct to http://www.ecotees.org/index.cgi/pure but you get the same thing!

Please tell me in simple terms how I can do this basic thing?
« Last Edit: 11/29/10 at 08:30:43 by glau » Logged

Eco Tees
brattytees
Gold Dragon

ack!

« Reply #4 on: 11/29/10 at 15:34:21 »

I don't use filters like this, but my understanding of them and what you want to do is this:

There are several types of filters you can use:

* cpfilter_name:[term to match]
     cpfilter_name:large+mug
         o shows products that include the matched term
         o case-insensitive
         o terms can be combined
         o use + to represent spaces
         o use ~word~ to match a whole term (cpfilter_name:~mug~ will match "large mug" but not "muggy" or "smug").

This, of course, assumes that you actually have terms like "shirt" and "mug" in the names of your products.

So if you wanted to use "Pure" as an example, take all your store ids that have these items in them and add them to a Store ID field following the same pattern as the example of "catid,dogid,etcid,cpfilter_name:~pure~ " so if you had 3 stores with ids like Pure, Nonpure, Verypure you would enter "pure.all,nonpure.all,verypure.all,cpfilter_name:~pure~" in a new Store ID field.

The 15 characters have nothing to do with this, the 15 character thing is on CP's end when entering a store id there as that was once the limit before they upped it to whatever it is now which doesn't play nice with cpshop.

Hope that makes sense and actually works for you.
glau
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #5 on: 11/29/10 at 16:24:41 »

Hey brattytees that sounds great and I understand now. I'm about to to finish my day (as it's late here now) but I will get onto this first thing in the morning and I will post here how it goes, looking forward to trying this out, cheers!

Eco Tees
glau
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #6 on: 11/30/10 at 01:27:26 »

Quote:
So if you wanted to use "Pure" as an example, take all your store ids that have these items in them and add them to a Store ID field following the same pattern as the example of "catid,dogid,etcid,cpfilter_name:~pure~ " so if you had 3 stores with ids like Pure, Nonpure, Verypure you would enter "pure.all,nonpure.all,verypure.all,cpfilter_name:~pure~" in a new Store ID field.

Wll that worked, thanks a lot.

I do wonder though if I can just do this without having to enter each storeID, so in other words can I write it to just include any stores that have the word "Pure" in the ID?

Eco Tees
brattytees
Gold Dragon

ack!

« Reply #7 on: 11/30/10 at 16:52:32 »

Glad it worked! You can buy me a cyber beer.

Not that I'm aware of, although someone else who uses this more may have come up with something, but off the top of my head I don't see how.
« Last Edit: 11/30/10 at 16:53:28 by brattytees » Logged
glau
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #8 on: 12/01/10 at 05:02:40 »

Here is that beer....

I would also like to know if I could filter the page to only show a certain type of t-shirt?

What I would like to do is only show "Organic" shirts on the pages since it will go with the site theme of "eco friendly". This would be easier than creating new shops for each design as I use them for another website.  I know I could build a new shop and just have the organic shirts in it but I would rather filter this current shop. So for example for this design I would like to only show the Organic t-shirts and not all the other ones.

Is this possible?
« Last Edit: 12/01/10 at 05:04:19 by glau » Logged

Eco Tees
brattytees
Gold Dragon

ack!

« Reply #9 on: 12/01/10 at 14:33:38 »

Thanks for the beer. Yum!!

on 12/01/10 at 05:02:40, glau wrote:
I would also like to know if I could filter the page to only show a certain type of t-shirt?

What I would like to do is only show "Organic" shirts on the pages since it will go with the site theme of "eco friendly". This would be easier than creating new shops for each design as I use them for another website.  I know I could build a new shop and just have the organic shirts in it but I would rather filter this current shop. So for example for this design I would like to only show the Organic t-shirts and not all the other ones.

Is this possible?

Another filter does what you want.
cpfilter_type:[producttypenumber]
cpfilter_type:7 (only ash grey t-shirts)
cpfilter_type:15, cpfilter_type:80 (only boxer shorts and thongs)

* available type numbers can be found here
   * type filters can be combined with non-type filters
   * type filters can be combined with other type filters

The CP product list is in no order whatsoever, so you have to hunt through it to find the products you want.
« Last Edit: 12/01/10 at 14:34:32 by brattytees » Logged
glau
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #10 on: 12/02/10 at 13:55:13 »

cool bratty, that worked great!

Eco Tees
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to:

marty.net message board (http://www.marty.net/cgi/marty/board/messageboard)