Need help with meta tag for product description

HOME

CPSHOP|

|

|

EMAIL MARTY
  marty.net message board
  « Need help with meta tag for product description »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
12/11/17 at 13:05:18
Home Help Search Login Register
   marty.net message board
   About cpshop
   Customization Help
(Moderator: Marty)
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Need help with meta tag for product description  (Read 668 times)
dmp65
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

« on: 12/03/11 at 16:12:28 »
Reply with quote Modify message

I'm looking for a way to have my cptemplate automatically populate the "description" meta-name tag with my product descriptions from individual product pages.

Right now, I have this in my cptemplate:

Code:
<meta name="description" content="<[description]>">

But when I look at the source code on any of my product pages, it just shows up as:

Code:
<meta name="description" content="">

Since there is no content listed as a "description", search engines are pulling CP's product information as the description (which I don't want) and not my product description.

If someone can help me with this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dave
dmp65
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

Re: Need help with meta tag for product descriptio
« Reply #1 on: 12/03/11 at 16:54:52 »

Ha! Nevermind. After re-searching the forum, I found the answer here:
http://www.marty.net/cgi/marty/board/messageboard?board=cprequest&action=display&num=1202756315&start=0

Just need to remember to replace the code if cpshop gets updated to a newer version.
Hex Angel - Patrick
Gold Dragon

Our nature lies in movement; complete calm is death.

« Reply #2 on: 12/05/11 at 10:38:36 »

Just a little SEO note on that earlier forum post: using <[productname]> and the hacked <[producttext]> in meta description tags might still generate a lot of duplicate descriptions (especially if your cpshop pulls in affiliate sk products). The SEs may or may not care about this -- google webmaster tools suggests repairing duplicate descriptions in HTML suggestions.

Quote:
When Googlebot crawled your site, it found some issues with your content. These issues won't prevent your site from appearing in Google search results, but addressing them may help your site's user experience and performance.

To be hardcore and avoid any possibility of duplicates, just append <[productno]> to the metadescription, which will make every product page description unique.

Oh, unless you've got duplicate product pages, which is definitely bad SEO karma. (This happens, for example, when your products appear under more than one cpshop storeid -- EG: one store ID for store sections, and several others for product *types* such as t-shirts, organics, etc.)  

To fix that issue, create at least a couple different instances of your cpshop.cgi and at least a couple different product detail templates. Consider one pair of these your 'primary' shop.cgi and template. In the product detail template files of every other instance, add the following meta tag in the <head> section:

Code:
<meta name="robots" content="noindex">

Well-behaved search engine bots won't index any 'duplicate' product pages, preserving the uniqueness of  'primary' product pages.

Alternatively, you *could* make the secondary thumbnail pages point to your *primary* product pages, which is *excellent* SEO. (Multiple inbound internal links from varying content = GOOD) To do that, you'll have to hack the cpshop.cgi files of your secondary instances so they rewrite the links in product thumbnails.

But even I'm not *that* hardcore....

.....yet.

=)

CPSHOP
www.PeaceAndLoveShop.com Namaste
BLOG
www.TheNomadicSpirit.com Inspired by travel
www.GodBeautyPerfectionLove.com Inspired by spirit
www.MyMuseMoviesMusicAndBooks.com Inspired by the arts
brattytees
Gold Dragon

ack!

« Reply #3 on: 12/05/11 at 17:17:01 »

That's some good info Hex. I had gotten so frustrated with the duplicate content issue I threw up my hands for awhile, but I know it needs to be dealt with. I had started to remove (dark) and from the product names once upon a time but then of course you're left with 2 exact same product names for products that have both a light and dark version (eg the women's plus size shirts). And if you go farther and remove 'light" you end up with even more dups. It would be REALLY REALLY nice if CP would find a way to group ALL like shirts under one item, light and dark both. Plus it would cut down on the way too many and confusing number of shirts. No where in the world that I know of do you go shirt shopping and they have them segregated by light and dark. I mean I'm sorry if some shopkeepers...er um content providers are too stupid to put the right image on the right shirt. And I really don't give a rats butt about the admin shop getting it right or wrong, I delete most of that nonsense pretty much anyway unless it's something I don't normally sell in my regular shops and they actually get it right and it looks cool.

/ of rant
« Last Edit: 12/05/11 at 17:20:04 by brattytees » Logged
Hex Angel - Patrick
Gold Dragon

Our nature lies in movement; complete calm is death.

« Reply #4 on: 12/05/11 at 18:43:51 »

<grin> Sometimes I wonder about those guys @ CP ... I mean...

*  Dark T-Shirt OR T-Shirt (dark) :: Pick one!

*  Have a finite product name length. Use part of that for the product type identifier (eg: White T-Shirt, Mug, Women's Long Sleeve T-Shirt). Once all the shopkeepers have figured out they've only got 20 chars to actually use for their own product name without truncating the identifier, introduce a new product.  Call it "Women's Plus Size Scoop Neck T-Shirt (dark)". Listen to the shopkeepers whimper the first time they see product names like: "Peace Love Life Harmony Women's Plus Size Scoop Ne". Don't even think about enlarging the name length to accommodate all those extra chars.

* Allot 10% of a product sales' revenue to the shopkeeper who sweat over the design and then properly placed various dimensions and bleed versions of them on a myriad of products, (and has probably had a number of them subsequently obliterated for obtuse/questionable copyright challenges -- John Lennon's estate OWNS the TM for any use of the word Imagine? Really??) The better of those SKs also spend hours working over the SEO for image keywords, teasers and descriptions.

* Give 15% to someone with a CJ account and the ability to code HTML and install cpshop. Even Amazon only gives their affiliates 4 to 8%.

one of my shops is, afterall, http://www.cafepress.com/murphysoptimist  lol

mmmm....<sigh> I feel better now.

CPSHOP
www.PeaceAndLoveShop.com Namaste
BLOG
www.TheNomadicSpirit.com Inspired by travel
www.GodBeautyPerfectionLove.com Inspired by spirit
www.MyMuseMoviesMusicAndBooks.com Inspired by the arts
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to:

marty.net message board (http://www.marty.net/cgi/marty/board/messageboard)