Stuck on how to accomplish this...

HOME

CPSHOP|

|

|

EMAIL MARTY
  marty.net message board
  « Stuck on how to accomplish this... »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
12/12/17 at 16:01:15
Home Help Search Login Register
   marty.net message board
   About cpshop
   Customization Help
(Moderator: Marty)
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Stuck on how to accomplish this...  (Read 1117 times)
brattytees
Gold Dragon

ack!

« on: 06/22/12 at 18:20:29 »
Reply with quote Modify message

1. Say I have a CP store that is only bumper stickers, and they are all in the storefront, not individual sections. I can pull them all into cpshop easily by entering the CP store name in the Store ID field and cpshop gives me a nice thumbnail page with all the stickers on it, but then I can't enter a separate Caption and Description for each different sticker in cpadmin, which defeats the purpose.

2. If I put each sticker in its own section in the same store at CP and enter each stickers Store ID/Section # in cpadmin, cpshop doesn't pull the image from CP, the cpshop thumbnail page is blank except for text links, only when you click through to a product page do you get an image.

3. However...if I take one of these stickers and put it in another CP store and use that store ID in cpshop along with a product type filter, cpshop pulls the product image and puts it on the thumbnail page.

So, is there a way to have cpshop pull the product images like it does under #1 above and put them on the thumbnail page without having to put each sticker in a separate shop and use a product type filter WHILE allowing me to write a separate Caption and Description in cpshop for each sticker??
« Last Edit: 06/22/12 at 18:24:02 by brattytees » Logged
oph3lia
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

Re: Stuck on how to accomplish this...
« Reply #1 on: 06/22/12 at 20:15:32 »

I can't think of a way to give it a caption offhand, but for #1 the description I'd try going into admin to the "Product Thumbnail Grid Layout" html and add the tag for <[producttext]> which would pull in the description text from the product.
brattytees
Gold Dragon

ack!

« Reply #2 on: 06/23/12 at 02:31:13 »

Thanks oph3lia (yes, I know with a 3 , but my reasoning is to distance myself from using CP's fields if there is something similar in cpshop I can use. We all see what's up at CP, and until cpshop crashes and burns too, hopefully not, I'd much rather rely on what I can enter into it.
oph3lia
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #3 on: 06/23/12 at 03:05:30 »

No problem, I get what you are saying. I just can't think of a "simple" way, since the captions are specifically part of sections, not part of products.

Hmm, have you tried hooks in the thumbnail grid? (I am not sure if they actually work in the grid I haven't tried them there) you could try making a hook name with the <[productnumber]> tag at the end, then put all your caption info into hook text files?

Or... if you do #2, where you ran into text links only, you can manually enter the thumbnail image urls under the storeid section in the admin scrren.  But the big problem I see with #2 or #3 is that you are actually making sections, so from the home page the customer will have to click through twice to get to the buy page.
brattytees
Gold Dragon

ack!

« Reply #4 on: 06/23/12 at 13:51:02 »

Quote:
No problem, I get what you are saying. I just can't think of a "simple" way, since the captions are specifically part of sections, not part of products.

Oh that's right, I forget how cpshop comes out of the box sometimes. I have mine hacked to show the Caption on the product page as opposed to the CP Description, I don't use it on the thumbnail page.

Quote:
Hmm, have you tried hooks in the thumbnail grid? (I am not sure if they actually work in the grid I haven't tried them there) you could try making a hook name with the <[productnumber]> tag at the end, then put all your caption info into hook text files?

I guess I didn't make that clear (sorry) I don't want the captions on the thumbnail page, I want them on the Product page. Hmmm, hooks in the thumbnail grid is something to look at for something else though, I never tried them there either.

Quote:
Or... if you do #2, where you ran into text links only, you can manually enter the thumbnail image urls under the storeid section in the admin scrren.  But the big problem I see with #2 or #3 is that you are actually making sections, so from the home page the customer will have to click through twice to get to the buy page.

Yeah, the double click thing is an issue that I was already thinking about, I don't want that.

You did get me thinking with the hook thing though, maybe I can hack something to get it to show the caption (or what would have been the caption) on the Product page using #1 above. I have to think about that. Thanks!
« Last Edit: 06/23/12 at 14:21:40 by brattytees » Logged
oph3lia
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #5 on: 06/24/12 at 02:02:23 »

Ahh, sorry about that, I was picturing you meant a caption under each thumbnail on the main page.

If you're looking to put some extra text someplace on the product page, then I'd definitely recommend hooks. You can put a "specific product" hook tag in your template, then make a hook text file for each individual product # instead of trying to do it by the caption field
brattytees
Gold Dragon

ack!

« Reply #6 on: 06/24/12 at 17:59:58 »

Yeah, the more I think about it the hook thing seems to be the only way to go, which is somewhat of a hassle since I have to maintain a bunch of new hooks, one for each product #, and then of course it's not as simple as sticking the hook in a template since where I want it to appear is somewhere in the <content> tag, and you can't just stick a hook in the content tag and say "I want it to be right...here" (although wouldn't that be nice?). Sigh.
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to:

marty.net message board (http://www.marty.net/cgi/marty/board/messageboard)