Put CPSHOP inside my own domain website

HOME

CPSHOP|

|

|

EMAIL MARTY
  marty.net message board
  « Put CPSHOP inside my own domain website »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
12/11/17 at 13:01:10
Home Help Search Login Register
   marty.net message board
   About cpshop
   Installation Help
(Moderator: Marty)
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Put CPSHOP inside my own domain website  (Read 1650 times)
howdydoody
Green Dragon

Go Scots!

« on: 08/02/09 at 16:23:35 »
Reply with quote Modify message

I can get CP shop to work with the CGI address but I can't put it in my website (ie. "www.mysite.com")

There is a link on Marty's website that details the installation of CPSHOP on a website but in the descrption it says:

"As some of the earliest cpshop users may remember, cpshop was originally designed to work as one area in a larger website. But as it's become more popular (and CafePress with it), more people have built entire websites around cpshop; as of this writing, the most common support question I get is, "How can I get cpshop to be my site's homepage?"

I don't actually want CPSHOP to be my sites homepage but I do want it to work as one area of a larger site which happens to be my homepage. The problem is, the installation guide doesn't show you how to insert the final code into a larger site which would be my homepage.

I have my own graphics and links and I want CPSHOP to be inserted in it's own little grid below those graphics. When I type my domain into the search bar, I want my graphics to show up with CPSHOP below it.

Anyway, I tried to install CPSHOP as my homepage  as well with no success so I guess I'll keep trying. I'm on my third month now of trying to figure this out.

Any help or clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Marty
Administrator Dragon

That's me. :)

WWW E-Mail
Re: Put CPSHOP inside my own domain website
« Reply #1 on: 08/04/09 at 01:07:08 »

So...you want to incorporate cpshop as a content block into a section of your homepage?

Have you considered trying calling cpshop as a server-side include?

--
Regards,
Marty·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> marty@marty.net
howdydoody
Green Dragon

Go Scots!

Re: Put CPSHOP inside my own domain website
« Reply #2 on: 08/04/09 at 09:07:05 »

I tried the server side method and it worked! What a relief! For some reason the CGI method did not.

One of my big problems at the beginning was the capitalization of my store name over at Cafepress. Because your administration software is CAPS sensitive, it would not pull from my store. I never realized that and tried a hundred different things trying to get it to work. A little note in the admin screen or in the instructions might be helpful for others.

I also think the install instructions are a little confusing when it comes to CP shop as it's own shop and exactly what that means. I think most people want to put their Cafepress store items on their own website in a div or table below their own graphics. That's why they bought the software. However, your install instructions don't clearly say how to accomplish that.

I think the part that says "using cpshop as your site's homepage" should be under the "installation guide" link and should be retitled to say something like "Install CPshop product grid on your own website"

I think most people will begin with the "installation guide" link and they'll end up with the thing working but not at their website address. This will lead to frustration and confusion. I know this is true just by reading these forums.

The suffix change from .cgi to .pl in the new software version could also be updated in the instructions to avoid confusion.

I have no doubt that you are a great programmer. I just think the instructions could be clearer.

Anyway, after 3 months of working on this, I'm very happy with what your software can do and I don't understand why Cafepress doesn't just pay you a lump sum, buy CPshop and put it on their website for free for all premium shop owners.

Thanks for the reply!
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to:

marty.net message board (http://www.marty.net/cgi/marty/board/messageboard)