Is It My Site, or...

HOME

CPSHOP|

|

|

EMAIL MARTY
  marty.net message board
  « Is It My Site, or... »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
12/12/17 at 17:49:24
Home Help Search Login Register
   marty.net message board
   General
   General Stuff
   Is It My Site, or...
(Moderator: Marty)
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Is It My Site, or...  (Read 863 times)
route66designs
Green Dragon

Go Phils!

WWW E-Mail
Is It My Site, or...
« on: 09/12/07 at 20:54:29 »
Reply with quote Modify message

Well, I've had my site open for a little over a month now, and I'm getting visitors (around 35 unique visitors per day), and I'm getting sales (averaging over one per day). The sales I'm getting though, are all from CP's Marketplace. I've only sold two items from my site itself. Also, all but one of my sales this month have been of the same design.

So, I ask you, fellow CPshoppers, what do you think it is? Why is no one buying from my site? Is it the site design? The shirt designs? I'm open to any theories as to what's happening, and I'm also open to any criticisms and suggestions that any of you might have.

---------------------------
Route 66 Designs
foxvox
Gold Dragon

WWW E-Mail
Re: Is It My Site, or...
« Reply #1 on: 09/13/07 at 10:50:28 »

One thing to keep in mind when you're looking at your order report is that when CP puts 'marketplace' or 'shop' as the origin of a sale it might not actually be accurate!  The only way to really know is to put something like statcounter in your cpshop so you can see what pages people go through and if they click through to the cart page, etc.

Personally, I think cp's algorithm tends to assume that if it doesn't come from a basic or premium shop on their site, that it's marketplace, but that's just a suspicion.

So, install a statcounter and watch the page views and go from there, IMO.

Kristen

http://www.artoffoxvox.com | http://foxvox.org
brattytees
Gold Dragon

ack!

« Reply #2 on: 09/13/07 at 14:17:08 »

Also, CP's sales reports have been screwed up for quite awhile, it's a known bug. Even if the sale came from your shop, it's been reporting coming from the Marketplace.

Like foxvox says, the best thing is to install your own stats, whether it be statcounter or another. However, some people lately have been having slow loading issues using statcounter. I saw a site yesterday that I clicked out of because it was waiting and waiting and waiting for statcounter to respond.

I'm not partial or against any in particular.
route66designs
Green Dragon

Go Phils!

WWW E-Mail
« Reply #3 on: 09/13/07 at 20:44:10 »

Thanks for the replies fox and Bratty. I do have StatCounter installed on both my domain site and my CP site, that's how I know that my sales are coming from the CP Marketplace (haven't been having the slowdown issues with StatCounter though). I also have Marty's code installed on my CP site, forwarding people to the domain site. Because of this, the only time I see StatCounter hits on the CP side is when someone views their cart while at the domain site (or when someone clicks on something at my Squidoo page, since those link to individual pages on CP).

My CP StatCounter for this month is showing 8 hits. Half of those are from viewing the cart from my domain site, and none of them are from the shirts I've sold.

Which leads me to something really weird. I mentioned in my first post that all but one of my sales this month have been of the same design. Most of my traffic is coming from Google (I'm doing the Google Base thing. Boy, does that drive traffic!), and not one hit to my domain site has been for that design! I've since modifed my description for that design so see if it'll make a difference in hits.

I'm grateful that I'm getting the volume of sales that I am after one month, even if it is for one single design. What's eating at me is the volume of hits and page views occurring on my domain site, with no one buying. So again, if anyone has any theories, ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears.

---------------------------
Route 66 Designs
brattytees
Gold Dragon

ack!

« Reply #4 on: 09/14/07 at 08:30:37 »

Well, the site looks good and I didn't notice any glaring issues. Your model on the home page is sure to grab the guys attention and hold them for at least a few seconds. That's a very well done photo.

You say none of the hits from Google are for your popular design, I'm curious if all your hits from Google are going to your home page? That's a common tendency since they tend to put more weight on your home page than other pages (at this point in google time). Google had one of my category pages as the most weighted for a long time, and it's recently changed to the home page - and I'm not sure why.

One thing I noticed is you have like 20 some pages under women and guys stuff. A lot of people don't tend to like to wade through that many pages. They'll go through a few, but there's breaking point. I tried what you're doing when I first started (I was really just being lazy ), and then I changed to specific categories and one page for each design in that category. Makes it easier on people to browse. I'm actually getting ready to break the categories up more, just trying to decide the right way to do it. You have designs back in those pages that you don't have on your home page that people may not find.

And like you said, it's only been a month, and it's also been summer, which for a lot of people tends to be slower than the rest of the year.

One suggestion when you're tweaking pages for the SE's, don't do too much too often, or you won't know what worked and what didn't. And heaven forbid any pages that end up in Google's supplemental index, they only update them once or twice a year (even though they claim they are updating much more often now, I haven't seen that), and now you can't even see which pages those are (well, kinda sorta).

Don't know if any of that helps, but I hope there's something there of use to you.
« Last Edit: 09/14/07 at 08:33:07 by brattytees » Logged
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to:

marty.net message board (http://www.marty.net/cgi/marty/board/messageboard)