Please tell me what I need to learn...

HOME

CPSHOP|

|

|

EMAIL MARTY
  marty.net message board
  « Please tell me what I need to learn... »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
12/13/17 at 17:06:12
Home Help Search Login Register
   marty.net message board
   General
   General Stuff
(Moderator: Marty)
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: Please tell me what I need to learn...  (Read 976 times)
BrightEyesAlive
Green Dragon

Go Scots!

« on: 04/22/09 at 20:55:38 »
Reply with quote Modify message

I want to have an external site that is very much like this one (which uses CPShop) -
http://birdorable.com

What do I need to learn about web development to be able to do this for my animal rescue? This venture is going to be done solely for the benefit of our rescue, 100% of CP (and other POD) sales to go directly to the rescue.

Being a rescue, we cannot really afford anything. I have purchased CPShop and I don't really know what to do with it but I am willing to study up on languages/scripts (don't even know what to call them) that I need to know in order to make a website like the one listed above (which I think is very nice!)

Can someone please give me some bread crumbs to find my way along this path? I have never done any of this 'coding' type of stuff but thus far have kind of jerry rigged myself along. My background is graphic design/photography and so I am an extremely sophisticated user along those lines. I have done some websites but only using Adobe GoLive (I know, I know...).

Please someone respond to try and point me in the right direction. The economy has absolutely left us (and many rescues) high and dry and I need to jump on this now before more innocent lives are ended.

Thank you in advance for any help. BTW yes I did contact the people at the website with the same request, I have no idea if and when they will respond and judging from their blog, they could be deep in some tropical jungle and not get my email til the fall for all I know.
Marty
Administrator Dragon

That's me. :)

WWW E-Mail
Re: Please tell me what I need to learn...
« Reply #1 on: 04/22/09 at 21:32:05 »

Actually, I don't think that site is using cpshop at all.  I think most of those pages are hand-coded.

That said, in order to run a cpshop site, you need:
- a CafePress premium shop
- a page template/design
- a host that can support cpshop, and
- the cpshop script installed on it

That particular site is very customized, which requires some pretty decent HTMLing skills, but you don't need to go that far to have a nice shop.

--
Regards,
Marty·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> marty@marty.net
BrightEyesAlive
Green Dragon

Go Scots!

Re: Please tell me what I need to learn...
« Reply #2 on: 04/22/09 at 21:58:38 »

Thank you for your response Marty!

Actually I discovered that site right here in these forums under 'showcase'. The post was from 2007 though so maybe they are no longer using CPShop.

I have all the things you mention needing to use CPShop but I also want to have a strong external site like birdorable.

Thank you.
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to:

marty.net message board (http://www.marty.net/cgi/marty/board/messageboard)