How to replace product images with custom graphics

HOME

CPSHOP|

|

|

EMAIL MARTY
  marty.net message board
  « How to replace product images with custom graphics »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
12/14/17 at 13:24:20
Home Help Search Login Register
   marty.net message board
   About cpshop
   Tutorials
(Moderator: Marty)
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: How to replace product images with custom graphics  (Read 10292 times)
Marty
Administrator Dragon

That's me. :)

WWW E-Mail
« on: 06/18/02 at 03:05:10 »
Reply with quote Modify message

Let's say you have a store with the alias "chicken01".  In your chicken01 store, you have a t-shirt with a picture of, well, a chicken on it.

Here's the problem: your site has a dark blue background, but CafePress only has graphics with white backgrounds.  So in your wonderful dark blue store, there's a great big nasty white box on your chicken shirt product page.  You'd like to get rid of it, but until now, haven't been able to.

This is where the new system comes in.  (It takes some work, but it can make your store look even better than it already does.)

• Download and save a copy of your chicken shirt picture from your store onto your home computer. Be sure to save a picture of the back as well.

• Open up the images in a graphics-editing program (like Photoshop), and fix it so the shirt looks like it's on the same blue background as your site.  (If you don't already have a graphics editing program, there are many freeware ones available here, one of which should suit you just fine.)

• Place the new images in a non-cgi-bin folder on your server.  Let's say the images are called chicken01_tshirt_front.jpg and chicken01_tshirt_back.jpg, and you've put them in an /images/store/ folder (i.e. /images/store/chicken01_tshirt_front.jpg).

• Go back to your store, and get the locations of the original images, both front and back.  (In Netscape, just right click on the image and choose "Copy Image Location".  In IE, right click on the image, choose "Properties", and then copy the image URL from the Properties box.) For this example, let's assume the

• Open up your cpshop.cgi.images file in a text editor (like NotePad or TextPad, not Word or FrontPage or WordPad).

• Add 2 new lines to the file, like this:

• Upload the edited cpshop.cgi.images file to the cpshop directory on your server.

If you check your store now, you'll see that the images have been replaced with your new ones.  Yay!

But wait!  There's a problem.  The product image is still in a gaudy white box, and even if you did change it, the "zoom" and "click to see front/back" text would look bad on the new background.

So here's how you remedy those little nagging problems:

• Fix the box color through the Product Image Box Color field on the admin screen.  Either change it to match the color of your site, or change it to "none" to let the background show through.

• Edit the cp_us_custom.lang file (or whatever language file you're using) to fix the text color problems.  For example, you'd add these lines to change the text in those boxes from the default (black) to bright yellow:

And there you are, everything should look good.  If it doesn't, then you can fiddle with the settings to make changes as you see fit.  You're the boss!
« Last Edit: 06/18/02 at 03:14:32 by Marty » Logged

--
Regards,
Marty·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> marty@marty.net
Riot
Green Dragon

Go Scots!

Re: How to replace product images with custom grap
« Reply #1 on: 02/04/03 at 11:25:01 »

Hey Marty gave this a shot with no luck..still trying to download the update, also
Marty
Administrator Dragon

WWW E-Mail
« Reply #2 on: 02/04/03 at 11:29:56 »

Hmm...download the update first, and then let me know.  It's possible there's some sort of bug that's creeped in over the last 8 months.

--
Regards,
Riot
Green Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #3 on: 02/04/03 at 12:32:49 »

Still not having any luck with it.
Here is the line I put in the cpshop.cgi.images page

nextuning||||http://storetn.cafepress.com/7/4661607_F_store.jpg||||http://www.nextuners.com/images/products/plate_frame.jpg
Marty
Administrator Dragon

WWW E-Mail
« Reply #4 on: 02/04/03 at 12:40:08 »

I think the problem may be related to the premium-store duplication system.

Could you try replacing the store id (nextuning) with a * and tell me if it suddenly works?

--
Regards,
Riot
Green Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #5 on: 03/24/03 at 09:32:55 »

That did the trick!  Thanks
shirean
Gold Dragon

Go Scots!

« Reply #6 on: 07/17/03 at 23:59:23 »

How about the little magnifying glass with the "Zoom In" function...it displays with a small white background and if you have dark background...it looks 'kinda cheezy with the white surrounding it!

I know I could disable the zoom feature, but just curious if there's a workaround for it as well.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 07/18/03 at 00:02:02 by shirean » Logged
Marty
Administrator Dragon

WWW E-Mail
« Reply #7 on: 07/18/03 at 00:46:24 »

You can use the cpshop.cgi.images file to replace pretty much anything.  Try using it to do your replacements, by searching for the URL of the magnifying glass image, and replacing it with your own.

--
Regards,
anton
White Dragon

My Body Is A Temple.  Respect My Freedom of Religion.

WWW E-Mail
« Reply #8 on: 12/20/04 at 04:17:20 »

If the only way to change the background colours of the images is to create our own versions of the images and use this feature, what exactly is the feature in the cpadmin page called 'Product Image Box Color' supposed to do?  This has confused me now...
Sert

« Reply #9 on: 04/30/05 at 17:38:59 »

hmmm, you're right.
Joseph M. Boy,CPC

« Reply #10 on: 09/10/05 at 16:16:29 »

The reason for that field in the admin control panel is that it provides the ability to change the background color of the table that contains the images and other parts of the page.  I just set it to none to allow for no background changes.

Joseph M. Boy,CPC
President
Your Computer Solutions Inc.
www.yourcomputersolutions.net
AKA
Breaker
Executive Director
SolgamesUSA Foundation
www.solgamesusa.com

cpshop working on is in temp location at:
http://www.solgamesusa.dyndns.org/www/faftshirts/store.php
Joseph M. Boy,CPC

« Reply #11 on: 09/13/05 at 23:30:54 »

For those that wish to see an example of that that image swape works along with the background color change see:  http://www.funandflirtytshirts.com and select a product to view on the menu.  Any suggests on improvements are requested.
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to:

marty.net message board (http://www.marty.net/cgi/marty/board/messageboard)