GoDaddy Hosting Works on cgi enabled accounts

HOME

CPSHOP|

|

|

EMAIL MARTY
  marty.net message board
  « GoDaddy Hosting Works on cgi enabled accounts »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
12/13/17 at 17:06:46
Home Help Search Login Register
   marty.net message board
   About cpshop
   cpshop-Compatible Hosting
(Moderator: Marty)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 » Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
   Author  Topic: GoDaddy Hosting Works on cgi enabled accounts  (Read 97663 times)
dreamwhisper
Gold Dragon

aDreamWhisperer

« on: 04/03/07 at 19:55:35 »
Reply with quote Modify message

I about gave up when I saw the other posts that Godaddy wouldn't work.  So, I called support and an advanced tech insisted it would work if I set the permissions correctly.  So, I gave it a 3 hour go and almost gave up again.

But, after playing with my permissions, IT WORKS!    

I'll have to continue to play with the permissions.  Seemed that I had to set some of the 644 to 755 or 777 to get them to work.  
I'll post back if I find the right pattern for all the files.  Right now, I've about had it.  Just thought I'd let you know.

I ended up at a point where it pulled my cat. list, but no products - page not found errors - so then I thought it wouldn't work again.  Alas, I discovered that have to use dirty urls.....
« Last Edit: 05/23/07 at 09:23:38 by dreamwhisper » Logged
drtobasco
Green Dragon

Go Scots!

This is very interesting, keep us posted
« Reply #1 on: 04/06/07 at 09:33:35 »

Keep us posted.  I already had hosting with GoDaddy for other projects, and had resigned myself to seeking another host for CPShop.  

But....

If you can make it work, I'm very interested in learning how.   Keep us posted.
tshirtdujour
Silver Dragon

Go Scots!

Re: GoDaddy Hosting Works (sometimes)
« Reply #2 on: 05/23/07 at 07:29:25 »

I might want to use godaddy because I register my domain there. so is there any confirmation that it works?

http://www.tshirtdujour.com
Danes-R-Us
White Dragon

Go Danes!

« Reply #3 on: 05/23/07 at 08:47:27 »

There is no confirmation that godaddy will host a decent CPshop (other than with their virtual dedicated server package). I believe the original topic did not include the word "sometimes", but has been edited to state "sometimes".

I have had a cpshop install on a site hosted on a godaddy unix server with cgi for years. For years, it was working "whenever". It depends on how their servers are feeling at any given moment and I suppose also which way the wind might be blowing - who knows. This install is NOT MY WORKING SHOP. I keep it there as a "toy" to see (or not) what's up with their mess. lol It was working intermittently and unreliably and unpredictably.

However, with the update to 2.4 it stopped working altogether and continues to be defunct with the recent 2.5 and 2.5a update.

I've been using CPshop since the beginning of time and have never had any misery installing, configuring or in any other manner EVER on a decent server.

I would recommend not even bothering with godaddy.  
dreamwhisper
Gold Dragon

aDreamWhisperer

« Reply #4 on: 05/23/07 at 09:16:13 »

Well, I am a reseller under godaddy and I'm running CP Shop on a Godaddy Delux Linux account with no problems thus far.  I just updated yesterday to 2.5 and that seems ok thus far as well.  My whole site is under heavy construction right now but here's the link. http://www.dreamwhisperhosting.com/cgi/shop/designshop.pl.

It is a permissions issue.  Since I've been working on so many things, I haven't gone back to play with the permissions to see exactly what the proper configuration is.  The only thing I can say is that, at least as a reseller, Godaddy hosting does work and it does not have to be on a dedicated or virtual dedicated server.

If you do visit the link, I'd appreciate feedback on the display since I've been having some cross browser issues.  Once I solve that, I'll clean up the html and css.  Thanks in advance.
Danes-R-Us
White Dragon

Go Danes!

Re: GoDaddy Hosting Works on cgi enabled accounts
« Reply #5 on: 05/23/07 at 09:56:43 »

I've been prowling right along through your site - no problems thus far. Perhaps resellers have an "in" that the lowly hosting customers don't? lol

I can only get it to work sometimes and then it will sometimes display products and sometimes it won't. I've tried with the permission set to full total access on everything and still the same results. Then it will just start pulling products for a while and then stop out of the blue.

If you can get more specific information, I'd be interested.

comments on your site: Used IE 6, Firefox 2.0 & Opera 9.20, all look great and pretty consistent.
Marty
Administrator Dragon

That's me. :)

WWW E-Mail
« Reply #6 on: 05/23/07 at 10:07:20 »

on 05/23/07 at 08:47:27, Danes-R-Us wrote:
There is no confirmation that godaddy will host a decent CPshop (other than with their virtual dedicated server package). I believe the original topic did not include the word "sometimes", but has been edited to state "sometimes".

Yes, I added the "(sometimes)," because a number of recent purchasers had stated that they "saw on the forum that GoDaddy is supported."  I wanted to make sure they actually read the thread, because it's far from given.

--
Regards,
Marty·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> marty@marty.net
dreamwhisper
Gold Dragon

aDreamWhisperer

« Reply #7 on: 05/23/07 at 10:15:00 »

Ah, too funny.  Perhaps GoDaddy doesn't like giving customers freedom - tee hee (just kidding - don't want to get booted for that).  

In that case try Dream Whisper Hosting (Shameless plug ).

As for your site on GoDaddy, I'm not sure what to say.  You did basically what I did by setting permissions to full access first.  When I originally read that GoDaddy wouldn't work, I spoke with my support team and they said it would absolutely work - no reason it wouldn't.  They just said to change the permissions.

So, my only thoughts off the top of my head are that:
1) Perhaps you are on an older server and it wont work for some reason??
2) Perhaps a fresh full install and change the permissions to full access before setting things up to pull from CafePress.

I will try to play with the permissions a bit more by the end of the week and let you all know what I came up with.

And, thanks for the feedback on the site.  I'm trying to find a niche where I appeal to crafty/artsy people rather than looking so corporate as most hosting sites do.
dreamwhisper
Gold Dragon

aDreamWhisperer

« Reply #8 on: 05/23/07 at 10:19:08 »

Hey Marty,

What files should absolutely not be given full access permissions for security and whatnot?

Thanks
Marty
Administrator Dragon

That's me. :)

WWW E-Mail
« Reply #9 on: 05/23/07 at 10:25:58 »

Well, as a matter of standard CGI security, it's never a good idea for .cgi files to have totally full access.  Granted, it's not easy for someone to compromise a server account, but it's still a matter of good practice to restrict permissions to the minimum necessary.  (Though it sounds like the minimum necessary might be pretty broad here.)

And in case the question comes up, it's virtually impossible for a visitor to do anything naughty with cpshop.  It's just not that kind of script.

--
Regards,
Marty·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> marty@marty.net
Alfie
White Dragon

Beware of Cat!

« Reply #10 on: 05/24/07 at 12:31:38 »

I've been able to access the cpshop Admin on my Godaddy account. I allowed full 777 permission across the board after trying with the standard permissions stated in the installation guide and not having any luck.
I am wondering if I'd be better off to get more set up at this point before I start closing it off. Any thoughts?
dreamwhisper
Gold Dragon

aDreamWhisperer

« Reply #11 on: 05/24/07 at 12:53:15 »

Have you tested everything and made sure it is pulling from CafePress?  If it is pulling your products and such, you may want to try playing with the permissions before customizing just to make sure everything is ok.  I haven't had time yet to look at the permisisons on mine yet.
Alfie
White Dragon

Beware of Cat!

« Reply #12 on: 05/24/07 at 13:19:59 »

ahh yes... I just got to my first viewing of the cpshop.cgi.. I don't think it's pulling properly yet. Clicking on the 'view cart' works though
lol...
Alfie
White Dragon

Beware of Cat!

« Reply #13 on: 05/30/07 at 08:24:24 »

So, I'm wondering if my issue is a godaddy issue or if I'm not understanding the stores properly yet. I've got the main page feeding to the domain, and the 'view cart' works too, but I can't link to anything else....
http://www.luongoism.com/cgi/cpshop/cpshop.cgi
the cafepress site is here- http://www.cafepress.com/luongoism
dreamwhisper
Gold Dragon

aDreamWhisperer

« Reply #14 on: 05/30/07 at 08:46:54 »

What are you trying to link to?  It looks like you used the default store code for your initial setup.  It seems to be pulling the products correctly.  What you need to do now is customize your store template to get it to look the way you want it using html and tags.  See this post for tags http://www.marty.net/cgi/marty/board/messageboard?board=cpperl&action=display&num=1048796221.  Then if you want to and when you have it looking like you want it, you can go to cafepress and insert the code so your cafepress url automatically directs to your cpshop url.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 » Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
Jump to:

marty.net message board (http://www.marty.net/cgi/marty/board/messageboard)